News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New PT2399 version?

Started by micromegas, February 04, 2015, 06:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

Quote from: pickdropper on February 04, 2015, 09:37:55 PM
This actually seems like a lower grade chip.  Other than the THD, it also has less than half of the memory.
It might have an advantage in choruses and flangers, assuming the spec sheet is real. But yeah, as a delay, it looks much worse to me.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

icecycle66

Quote from: pickdropper on February 04, 2015, 09:37:55 PM
This actually seems like a lower grade chip.  Other than the THD, it also has less than half of the memory.

Could they intentionally be setting some sort of lower memory so the chip doesn't reach the threshold to distort?

Scruffie

That "D" datasheet is dated 2005... I wonder if it'll apply to these "new" chips.
Works at Lectric-FX

pickdropper

Quote from: Scruffie on February 04, 2015, 10:05:07 PM
That "D" datasheet is dated 2005... I wonder if it'll apply to these "new" chips.

Oh, I didn't notice that.

Perhaps there are different chips.  If true, they really should've used a different naming scheme.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

RobA

Quote from: Scruffie on February 04, 2015, 10:05:07 PM
Hmm, the current PT2399 doc on their site is dated 2010 (http://www.princeton.com.tw/Portals/0/Product/PT2399_1.pdf). And, I can't find anything about a "D" version. It all seems weird.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair

"Better chip"? This is some 1984 double speak shit right here.

micromegas

Quote from: midwayfair on February 04, 2015, 11:17:03 PM
"Better chip"? This is some 1984 double speak shit right here.
who said better? it has to be checked and compared first. We still don't know what version it really is. I'm sill waiting for a response from my supplier (it's 0:22am here in Spain).
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

RobA

I did a bit of searching around and I found one schematic from a JVC compact system that used the PT2399D. The doc is dated from 2006. I also found references to PT2399C devices. I haven't seen that one before. What I'm wondering is if these are OEM parts built for specific products. If the only really difference is the memory and the clock rate, it probably would be a fairly easy change for them and could be done as a cost cutting measure or to match some other aspect of the design.

micromegas

Quote from: midwayfair on February 04, 2015, 11:17:03 PM
This is some 1984 double speak shit right here.

As I read 1984 in Spanish years ago, the term "doublespeak" related to the book didn't mean a thing to me. A quick google search, comon sense and some chat with my mother (she is a philosophy teacher) revealed me its meaning.

No doublespeak nor doublethink here Sir (at least not from me) and my distributor has written to Princeton Tech.
I hope we could have some new useful information in a near future.

I am tempted to do some A/B comparision, but due to the variability in quality these chips present, I don't know if it's going to be of much use to us.

midwayfair

Quote from: micromegas on February 04, 2015, 11:57:05 PM
No doublespeak nor doublethink here Sir (at least not from me) and my distributor has written to Princeton Tech.
I hope we could have some new useful information in a near future.

I wasn't implying that you were deceiving someone. I was referring to your supplier saying that it's "exactly like the PT2399 but with the distortion problem sorted out" when Dave and Cody quick dug up that it's exactly the opposite.

selfdestroyer

I sent this to PTC

QuoteI am part of a DIY guitar effects pedal group and a member mentioned a new version of the 2399 chip marked PT2399D-D that addresses some of the audio distortion issues at longer delay times. Can you confirm if this is actually a new chip manufactured by PTC or is fake/rebadged chip?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Cody

and I got this

QuoteDear Mr. Cody Deschenes,

Thank you for your email and interest in PTC product.

In fact, PT2399 has been under mass production for at least 20 years.
The IC marked PT2399D-D, the version is too old and that we are unable to verify the IC mark.
Please find attached newest spec for your reference. You can also find our order information on p.3.

Below are our current orderable versions of PT2399 for your information.
1.          PT2399: 16 Pins, DIP, 300mil          (IC Top code/mark: PT2399)

2.          PT2399S: 16 Pins, SOP, 300mil       (IC Top code/mark: PT2399S)

3.          PT2399-SN: 16 Pins, SOP, 150mil   (IC Top code/mark: PT2399-SN)

.。..。.:*・゚゚・*:.。..。.:*・゚ ゚・*:.。..。.:*・
Debbie Ho 何淑娟
Product Customer Service
Princeton Technology Corp. 普誠科技股份有限公司
Tel: +886-2-2916-2151 ext. 23322
Fax: +886-2-2917-4598
http://www.princeton.com.tw
゚゚・*:.。..。.:*・゚ ゚・*:.。..。.:*・゚゚・*:.。..

Here is the file she attached but it looks like the one that is online already and nothing new to us.
http://music.codydeschenes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/PT2399_1.pdf

Justus

micromegas

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 05, 2015, 11:55:12 PM
I sent this to PTC

QuoteI am part of a DIY guitar effects pedal group and a member mentioned a new version of the 2399 chip marked PT2399D-D that addresses some of the audio distortion issues at longer delay times. Can you confirm if this is actually a new chip manufactured by PTC or is fake/rebadged chip?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Cody

and I got this

QuoteDear Mr. Cody Deschenes,

Thank you for your email and interest in PTC product.

In fact, PT2399 has been under mass production for at least 20 years.
The IC marked PT2399D-D, the version is too old and that we are unable to verify the IC mark.
Please find attached newest spec for your reference. You can also find our order information on p.3.

Below are our current orderable versions of PT2399 for your information.
1.          PT2399: 16 Pins, DIP, 300mil          (IC Top code/mark: PT2399)

2.          PT2399S: 16 Pins, SOP, 300mil       (IC Top code/mark: PT2399S)

3.          PT2399-SN: 16 Pins, SOP, 150mil   (IC Top code/mark: PT2399-SN)

.。..。.:*・゚゚・*:.。..。.:*・゚ ゚・*:.。..。.:*・
Debbie Ho 何淑娟
Product Customer Service
Princeton Technology Corp. 普誠科技股份有限公司
Tel: +886-2-2916-2151 ext. 23322
Fax: +886-2-2917-4598
http://www.princeton.com.tw
゚゚・*:.。..。.:*・゚ ゚・*:.。..。.:*・゚゚・*:.。..

Here is the file she attached but it looks like the one that is online already and nothing new to us.
http://music.codydeschenes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/PT2399_1.pdf

Thank you Cody!
I am writing to my distributor right away.

Sorry guys, I thought I've discovered gold and it was just some painted horse shit....

garfo

Where do you get these from?
Quote from: micromegas on February 04, 2015, 06:47:00 PM
My local distributor just anounced this on their facebook page:

PT2399D-D: they say is exactly like the PT2399 but with the distortion problem sorted out.
I'll get some to try and make a comparation.

micromegas

Quote from: garfo on February 06, 2015, 10:04:27 AM
Where do you get these from?
Quote from: micromegas on February 04, 2015, 06:47:00 PM
My local distributor just anounced this on their facebook page:

PT2399D-D: they say is exactly like the PT2399 but with the distortion problem sorted out.
I'll get some to try and make a comparation.
I did not get it yet, my local distributor (Retroamplis) anounced them on facebook.

He is a stand up guy, I wrote him and he told me their distributor gave them the same datasheet they already had for the PT2399.
He has written to both Princeton and their distributor and say it's been a hell to try to get an answer but that they finally gave him one and is quite similar to the one Cody posted before.
He is quite upset because they have made him look like a fool and thinks it's quite possible they have tried to get rid of that batch by telling him that was a new chip.

He has also thanked me for sharing the PT2399D-D datasheet with him (I told him we were debating about the chip).