News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Acoustic amp kit

Started by TNblueshawk, December 08, 2011, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

So, does such an animal exist and has anyone ever built one? I now a PA is the answer but what fun is buying one when I can build an amp and char myself  :-\

Would really like a little something for the bedroom hacker that I am for the Taylor and would add this to my impossibly long project list.
John

Myramyd

For something like that I would recommend either Taylor's Tiny Giant Amp kit:
http://musicpcb.com/pcbs/tiny-giant-amp/

or one of the Parts-Express amplifier kits:
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=203

Since it's full range, you probably want something more akin to home audio than a "guitar" amp. Both of the above options are pretty inexpensive. The TG costs about $50 total to build.

J

TNblueshawk

Oh man, a couple of those look cool. Thanks fellas. Bookmarked those puppies.
John

sam_c

That Tiny giant with an onboard 9-12 band graphic eq would be great for an acoustic amp...maybe with chorus built in too? 

Myramyd

The nice thing about the Tiny Giant is that it has a 11V tap on the board so you can power those effects without needing another PS.

It is VERY flat by itself so, having some type of EQ or preamp helps. If you have enough of one on the acoustic that may be enough though. I know people have used it with keys or bass and no other effects.

You would also want to use full-range speakers with it for an acoustic amp, not guitar speakers. I would think you would want some type of cabinet with a tweeter in it for that application.

J

mjcyates

I have one of the Tiny Giant amp boards populated that I will sell you if you are interested. I bought it and populated it and never got around to finishing it.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: mjcyates on December 09, 2011, 08:16:20 PM
I have one of the Tiny Giant amp boards populated that I will sell you if you are interested. I bought it and populated it and never got around to finishing it.

Mj, that is a nice offer. Let me do this. I just Googled around a little and found a guy I know who gigs and has one. Let me hit him up with his thoughts on it etc...and get back to you.

Thanks guys.
John

mjcyates

Cool, just let me know, it's not going anywhere anytime soon.