News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mike Fuller? [sensitive topic within]

Started by movinginslomo, June 07, 2020, 03:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Quote from: benny_profane on June 08, 2020, 02:37:52 AM
I think that the emails that he sent in response to customers asking for him to tone down his initial statement are a big part of the issue here. The public-facing statement was a catalyst and part of the problem to be sure, though.

Yeah, reading up on it more the thing I saw was one of the emails. I mean, telling people to sell their Fulltone pedals because they don't deserve them, and that they'll break into your house and take their pedals from people. The original post was bad, but the email I saw was ridiculous. If the company was big enough to have a board of investors, then the dude would be gone Papa John's style.

danfrank

Yum! Pizza sounds good right now! LOL!

lars

I guess the moral of the story is that if you're too OCD, it can be a Catalyst to a situation that is Mas Malo.

aion

I think that the emails that he sent in response to customers asking for him to tone down his initial statement are a big part of the issue here. The public-facing statement was a catalyst and part of the problem to be sure, though.

Oh man, that was was insane. He was still consistent, in my estimation - accusing the guy who pushed back on him of being pro-looting, again not disparaging the cause of the protests themselves - but it may have all blown over without that email.

The root issue is that he runs his mouth off without thinking, and has been doing so for literally decades. Even if what he was saying in this instance was somewhat misinterpreted, it was the way he said it that really made it blow up and there's no going back. I hope it continues to cost him dearly.

benny_profane

Quote from: aion on June 08, 2020, 03:01:29 PM

Oh man, that was was insane. He was still consistent, in my estimation - accusing the guy who pushed back on him of being pro-looting, again not disparaging the cause of the protests themselves - but it may have all blown over without that email.

The root issue is that he runs his mouth off without thinking, and has been doing so for literally decades. Even if what he was saying in this instance was somewhat misinterpreted, it was the way he said it that really made it blow up and there's no going back. I hope it continues to cost him dearly.

I imagine it will. With the pressure for companies to acknowledge their role in social issues and the connection between economics and power structures (or, at least give the appearance of that acknowledgement), companies will continue to distance themselves from anything deemed publicly toxic.

The cynical interpretation is that we've seen this recently with many socio-political issues, and the new enlightened 'corporate positionings' that arise are really just low-stakes PR moves to get ahead of any potential backlash. "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows": public sentiment is unable to be ignored here, and digging heels into a losing position is just bad business.

alanp

I've always thought that political positions, for most companies, are stupid ideas.

So you sell little boxes that take guitar cables and make it sound rock and roll. How is that connected, concretely, to generational social ills in your country? Same question for the actual guitars, and all the other paraphernalia surrounding this hobby.

There's a quote from Michael Jordan - "Republicans buy sneakers, too." And, if you portray the "others" as demons, I can't help but see that as supremely unhelpful in any way (other than to put their backs up.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

benny_profane

Quote from: alanp on June 08, 2020, 04:40:36 PM
I've always thought that political positions, for most companies, are stupid ideas.

So you sell little boxes that take guitar cables and make it sound rock and roll. How is that connected, concretely, to generational social ills in your country? Same question for the actual guitars, and all the other paraphernalia surrounding this hobby.

There's a quote from Michael Jordan - "Republicans buy sneakers, too." And, if you portray the "others" as demons, I can't help but see that as supremely unhelpful in any way (other than to put their backs up.)

The disaggregation of economics and politics is not an easy thing. Power structures depend on money. In the United States, individual companies/industries lobby and make campaign/PAC contributions that influence politics. Sure, consumers are consumers, and many buy things irrespective of the behavior or positions of companies—but there really is no firewall between business/economics and politics.

The creation of the 'other' is basic political maneuvering in order to emotionalize complex issues. None of this is a binary, nor is it as simple as 'x is good, y is bad.' But, that distillation is used to sell narratives (and is the basis for populist movements).

In a market system, you vote with your money. Purchases give profit to companies and are a tacit endorsement of their practices. Want to support your country's industrial output and workers, buy products that are made in your country.

So yeah, corporate political positionings (especially those crafted by PR reps) are dumb ideas. However, economics is an integral part of the political landscape and companies/corporations inherently have a political role. There's where the issue lies.

If, for example, an individual company says something and exhibits a pattern of behavior deemed negative, another company distributing their products may want to distance themselves from them to avoid association. Since continuing stocking/selling is a statement of implicit endorsement of those statements and behavior. They benefit by choosing to proactively make a move that aligns with the 'way the wind blows' and still sell other products that fill any void left.

Aentons

Here in the states, businesses like Chick-fil-A and Hobby Lobby seem to integrate their ideological stance into their business identity and seems to really thrive in the areas where those stances are promenant (like mine). I do my best not to give them my money but when they are the only game in town it can be difficult to put you money where your mouth is.

I feel the same way about Disney, I don't really want to support them by giving them my money but alas I have 3 kids and my wife signed us up for Disney+

matmosphere

I think this is a human rights issue more than a political issue, and more and more people are starting to see it that way.