News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Serendipity-no drive

Started by slimtriggers, July 26, 2011, 11:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

Just built up a Serendipity and it's not giving me any love.  I get signal in bypass, signal when it's switched on, LED works, but no drive.  The drive control acts like a volume control.  The volume control also acts like a volume control. The voice pot seems to be working properly, and it's hard to tell if the tone knob is doing anything.

I did sub a TL072 instead of the AD712.  So far the only thing I've tried is switching the transistors around in case I had the pinout backwards.  No change when I switched them, though.

I'll go through and double check my resistor values tonight.  I probably should check to make sure I don't have the pots mixed up, too.

Any other suggestions?

cjkbug

did you use 2n700's or some other fet? I had a stubborn vero build of this circuit with similar behavior. it was a problem with the fets. I replaced them and it was fine. bs 170's work great in that circuit too.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

madbean

What brand of 2n7000 are they?

cjkbug

mine where cheap ones from tayda. I bought a bag of 100 and I've had a few duds
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

madbean

It's a bit of a pain slimtriggers, but socket the two transistors and try putting in some diodes there like 1n914. If you get distortion then it's a matter of either different pinouts or perhaps bum transistors.

slimtriggers

Yeah mine are from Tayda as well.  I socketed the transistors, so swapping them with diodes will only be a minor inconvenience.  I'll give that a shot. 

I'll let you know how it goes 8)

slimtriggers

I tried 1n4148's in place of the transistors, but no change.  I tried 2 more transistors (off the same strip, though) but no change there either.

All the resistors check out, and my pots are correct.  Maybe I'll try a 4558 just in case...

gtr2

hmm... it's almost like there is a short somewhere in the neg feedback loop of IC1A.  A solder bridge perhaps?

This is a weird one.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

slimtriggers

Tried a 4558, but no change.  Would an IRF510 work if I could finagle the leads appropriately?  That might be a tough one to try out, though.  I only have 1 BS170, but I may switch it into both spots to see if there's any change.  BS170 has pinout opposite of a 2n7000 if I understand correctly.

I would take some pics, but I haven't seen my camera since we went to Gettysburg a few weeks ago :(

jimmybjj

Can you post hi res pics of both the component and solder sides inclusive of the wiring?
Pcbs no longer available

madbean

Voltages on the IC are in order, as well.

slimtriggers

No way to take a pic right now, but here are the voltages.

[attachment deleted by admin]

slimtriggers

Volts at the transistors:

slimtriggers

OK.  Found the camera :)

slimtriggers

Good Lord the soldering looks ugly all blown up :P  I already see a couple of spots that may be suspicious.