News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Egghead build help

Started by dtothecha, December 13, 2012, 11:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtothecha

So got an Egghead board with my order of the Low Rider and decided to try to build the Egghead first. So I soldered all the components to the board and following the switch wiring from Madbean I wired it up but no sound. I get a bypassed signal, but once I engage the pedal the led doesn't light up and no sound. If I touch some parts of the PCB, I get a faint signal but still no effect. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

hammerheadmusicman

can you check your getting 9v to the 9v pad on the board?

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

DutchMF

First check al your wiring, especially on the switch. Check all solder connections and ground. Could you post some Hi-res pics of the board (both sides) ande your switch wiring?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

dtothecha

Should the connectivity work when touching the solder on the legs of the components? It seems like I have to try different spots with a multimeter on the specific solder spot to get a connectivity. (Sorry I'm fairly new to pedal building) Could that mean its a cold solder joint?

Also I don't if this matters, but I removed the switch and wired the IN and OUT from the board directly to the jacks and still no sound. Then I assume I did something wrong wiring up the board?

Thanks for the help so far. I'll try to upload images of the board ASAP.

slacker775

Inspect the pads, reflow the joints and things will probably improve.   Really wouldn't hurt to post some clear, close up pics.

gordo

On mine it was the wiring to the Level (Vol) pot. I use 3 different colors to make it easier to be accurate, and it still didn't help... ::)

99% of the time it's miswiring or bridged/bad solder joints. Bridged joints are a LOT easier to mistakenly do on tighter layouts and baby boards. If you can print a mirror image of the pcb it makes it pretty easy to do a side by side comparison of which pads are connected and which shouldn't be.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

dtothecha

These are the best I could do currently. So reflowing the joints made the connection better and it seems like everything that should be connected is connected testing with a multimeter. I haven't been able to check it again to see if it works since I don't have my 9v supply with me currently, but will check later tonight. The pots are connected with the colored wires, the red going to the left lug when the pot and the lugs are facing downwards.

One question I had however was I wasn't sure if I put the IC in correctly. The drawing on the PCB had the bite(?) out of it, but the chip I had didn't and only had a little dimple on top. So I assumed that the little dimple represented pin 1.

patrickbrose

There are a few joints that look cold (the flat grey looking ones) and I have a little concern with the IC being soldered to the board (not using sockets). If that IC got too hot, it could be damaged. The first step, however, will be to re-heat those cold looking joints. Anything that isn't smooth and shiny needs to have a little heat added to them, let the solder flow.
-P

dtothecha

Figured it all out! Thanks for everyones help!

hammerheadmusicman

Out of interest, what was the problem in the end?
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..