News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

More dirt for Green Bean?

Started by slimtriggers, December 06, 2011, 04:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

Would lowering R6 and raising C4 add more distortion while maintaining freq response?   

LaceSensor

+1 id be interested to hear how you get on

jkokura

I don't think so.

If you look at what the Fat switch is doing, it's lowering C4's value to about 27/28nF. What that does is give you a perceived 'thicker' tone, fatter and fuller perhaps. So if you lower C4, You'll be affecting the frequency response both with the Fat switch off and on.

If I were to add more dirt to that circuit, I'd probably start by using a 1M drive pot instead of a 500K, or even better, I'd use a C500 K which would give you an earlier rise in your gain, meaning that you'd probably see the usual '12 o'clock' gain level at about '10 o'clock' and at about '3 o'clock' things would be about the same.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

oldhousescott

You could lower R6 and raise C4 to get more gain (at max) while keeping the same rolloff, but as Jacob alluded to, you'll have to increase C5 as well to keep the "Fat" nature intact. Much easier as he suggested to increase the drive pot to 1M, although there is point beyond which you really won't perceive an increase in distortion without changing something else in the circuit (such as subbing different clipping diodes).

LaceSensor

Ive socketed all my diodes.

Anyone wanna recommend me out of my list which are likely to sound good?
Ive got to hand

- All types of LED (3mm, 5mm, bright, normal etc) red green white orange blue you name it
- 1n60
- 1n34a
- 1n914
- 1n4148 (in all positions currently)
- 1n4001
- 1n4001

think thats it

jkokura

You could also try the 1N270 Ge type, and the BAT41 shottky type which are both good to my ears. I like diffused LEDs better than the high brightness type personally. Also Mosfets can be made into great sounding clipping diodes.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

slimtriggers

Yeah BAT41's sound great.  I have those and 1n34a in mine.  I have BAT41's in my Tonepad 808, too.  For some reason the Green Bean seems to have just a touch less dirt than my Tonepad 808, though.

Quote from: oldhousescott on December 06, 2011, 07:38:55 PM
You could lower R6 and raise C4 to get more gain (at max) while keeping the same rolloff, but as Jacob alluded to, you'll have to increase C5 as well to keep the "Fat" nature intact. Much easier as he suggested to increase the drive pot to 1M, although there is point beyond which you really won't perceive an increase in distortion without changing something else in the circuit (such as subbing different clipping diodes).

I totally forgot to consider the "Fat" cap.  I'll look around and see if I have a 1M pot.  Thanks :)

slimtriggers

I just checked my drive pot b/c it seemed like it was doing nothing.  Turns out it was 500 ohms, not 500k >:(  I don't know if Tayda sent me the wrong pot, or I ordered the wrong one, but I shoulda checked before installing it anyway. 

Lesson learned.