News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Buffered Kingslayer II With A Relay Bypass and Momentary Switch?

Started by Micpoc, November 12, 2014, 03:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micpoc

If I have a relay bypass board like the Bypass Relay by AMZ or the Finish Line Relay Bypass by 1776 Effects (both of which use soft-touch momentary switches, which I really like), can I use it with the Kingslayer II in buffered bypass mode? If so, how should it be wired?

Micpoc

Cortexturizer

try to identify first if you can, if your boards can work in a typical dpdt manner. once you identify the "pins" of a fictional dpdt switch and verify that indeed you have two poles that do a double throw without anything being affected by anything else (for example there's no weird connections between the two throws - they work independently) then yeah, you can just wire it like a standard dpdt switch that you need for a klon.
mind you that I am writing from a sunking perspective, haven't seen the kingslayer build doc so far.

for example I have some of the TH Customs new relay switches and I intend to use one of them as a regular DPDT switch - that required two cuts on the board, you might be needed to do a similar thing to your boards

EDIT: ah, here's the answer from the man himself, great!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

madbean

With buffered bypass you only need to switch the output between the effect and the buffer. With the Kingslayer/Sunking/Klon there is one additional pole which controls the LED. However, that pole does double duty in that when the effect is bypass it grounds the output of the overdrive gain stage simultaneously to prevent any unwanted noise creeping into the output (I guess). What I would do here is use the LED that is powered from the relay bypass instead to simplify the switching.

So, I think this is what you want:
Connect the effect input directly to the input jack.
Leave the effect input on the relay board empty.
Connect the buffer output from the circuit to the input on the relay board.
Connect the effect output from the circuit to the effect output on the relay board.

When the relay board is in "bypass" mode it takes the buffer as the input and sends it directly to the output.
When the relay board is in "effect" mode, the input of the relay is open, and the output of the relay is connected to the effect output.

You lose the ability to ground the drive circuit like I mentioned above, but that may not matter.

Micpoc

Fantastic, thanks guys! When I finished getting my Kingslayer II populated I'll give your suggestion a try.