News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Runt with clipping and Ruetz mods

Started by Guitarmatt, July 09, 2013, 02:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarmatt

Here's my first 1590A build, a Runt with two extra switches for clipping diodes and Ruetz mod.  The "engraving" was done with a box knife then filled with sharpie and sanded.

The guts:

I built it with 1/4 watt resistors stood up on end.  If I do another little board like this I think I'll take the time and effort to track down smaller resistors

The video:

The green and gold pedal upside down on the right is my Egodriver build, and the orange one peeking in the other corner is my 5 knob fuzz built on a Hipster board.

I wired up the mod switches by using a little 2x3 bit of perf, much the same way as the pots are wired per the baby build guide.

The clipping diodes bend over below the filter knob.

Solder side:

All in all I like this pedal. I think it will end up with the mod switches flipped on most of the time. I don't really have a use for the standard Rat tone, awesome as it is.  This will end up being a low to mid gain color pedal for me.  But it's good to know the raw Rat tone is there when I  need it.

midwayfair

WOW, two switches and three pots!

Did you cut the lugs on the switches down to make them shorter? I always have trouble fitting a board on top of switches without making the outside look goofy.

Hopefully it sounds as edgy as it looks!

Guitarmatt

Ah yes, I forgot to mention those are submini switches from smallbear.  They didn't need any trimming to fit.

alanp

Those controls are impressive. Well done :)

By box knife, do you mean a stanley knife?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

Very cool.. I love the box knife idea as it looks great. that is an awesome first time 1590A and look forward to more of your builds.

Guitarmatt

Quote from: alanp on July 09, 2013, 11:20:22 PM
Those controls are impressive. Well done :)

By box knife, do you mean a stanley knife?

Yup. It definitely wasn't the safest way of doing it, but I took it slow and escaped unharmed.

croquet hoop

Very nice build, and the use of 1/4w resistors doesn't spoil it one bit. I love how you managed to fit three knobs ans two switches in a 1590A. Do you have a link to these submini switches at smallbear? I took a look, but I'm not sure which one is the right size.

Guitarmatt

Quote from: croquet hoop on July 11, 2013, 06:03:56 PM
Very nice build, and the use of 1/4w resistors doesn't spoil it one bit. I love how you managed to fit three knobs ans two switches in a 1590A. Do you have a link to these submini switches at smallbear? I took a look, but I'm not sure which one is the right size.

Here you go:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=42

And the description in case the link dies:

SPDT (On-On) Mountain 10TC410
(On-On) Sub-miniature, high-quality panel mount for power and control switching.

croquet hoop

Thanks! (can't believe I missed that second page)