News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Software for designing pedal graphics in?

Started by jjanssen1, August 26, 2014, 12:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: rullywowr on August 26, 2014, 04:02:12 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on August 26, 2014, 03:22:53 PM
Quote from: rullywowr on August 26, 2014, 02:32:21 PM
I agree that Inkscape is one of the best free layout tools for pedals.  If you need to alter the pixels of an image, GIMP is great.  Inkscape's vector layout keeps things looking great no matter how much you scale them.  Easily import graphics, use layers to keep organized, drill holes, etc.

Be sure to grab the "pedal vector pack" which has a lot of enclosures, knobs, switches, etc so you can mock up your graphic.

I since have migrated over to CorelDraw! and it works essentially the same as Inkscape.  Corel is a little more "polished" but then again its not free.  :)  Vector based software also works excellent with laser engravers (bonus).

How was your experience laser etching with Inkscape?  Some folks at work tried it with the Epilog and were a bit frustrated by the print driver.  Actually using the software for design work was fine.

I only use Illustrator, so I haven't felt the pull to mess too much with Inkscape.

Great question!  To sum it up in one word...horrible.  I have never had good luck printing directly from Inkscape even just to print out on paper.  When I used Inkscape, I always used to export to PDF first - then print the PDF out from Adobe Reader.  Even importing SVG files from inkscape to Corel is a total crapshoot...mixed results.

The Epilog designers like Corel Draw so I have been becoming more accustomed to using it not only for etching but for general graphics use - and it's growing on me.  I'm sure Illustrator is awesome too :).

OK, that pretty much mirrors the experience here as well.  Exporting to PDF made it work.

Corel Draw is pretty much the industry standard for laser engravers.  I *think* that started out because it was so much cheaper than Illustrator.  These days, they are much closer in price.  I'd like to play around with Corel (and still might), but since I already own Illustrator, it doesn't seem like the best use of funds.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jjanssen1

Thank you all for your help,
I think for now I will use GIMP and someday (when I have the money) will move onto using Photoshop
And also does anyone have any enclosure templates made up for GIMP?.
Thank you all again for your help
Joshua
+[----->+++<]>+.+.[--->+<]>---.---[->++<]>.++[--->++<]>+.

slimtriggers

Another +1 for Inkscape.  Gimp is good for photo editing, but if you need to scale up/down vector graphics are preferable.

davent

For enclosures and parts there's a vector pack that is great with Inkscape and i would assume other vector programs.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=47294

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Blues Healer

just FYI, I think you can use Photoshop for $10 a month ... FWIW
"music heals"

muddyfox

again, photoshop cs2 is f.r.e.e.! :)
like, completely and utterly without monetary requirements.

muddyfox

Getting your hands dirty painting a pedal, that's where I draw the line.
I don't have an artistic bone in my body and I'm amazed at people who can pull anything of that sort off (Jon is of course the equivalent of unobtanium), even if it's just stamps and sharpies. Hat's off, all y'all!

aballen

bamslam69

Just having a rant.
My Fuzz pedal is wired and waiting to go in, but I'm still working on prettying up the box.
Have been trying for the past couple of weeks with no progress with GIMP.
I'm at the point where I'm about to take to the box with a Sharpie.
At least it's got a nice coat of paint.

jimilee

Yeah! You tell 'em Steve Dave!
I know what you're saying, when it's winter and really cold, I can't get a decal to dry right to save my life, and when it's raining out, painting is a bitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wgc

+1 for paint.net, irfan view, and Inkscape. Have also used illustrator, Photoshop, gimp. Depends on my mood but agree on the Inkscape exports and prints being flaky. Print to pdf works well.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

gordo

One that hasn't been mentioned that I've used since it's original Shareware days is PaintShop Pro.  Corel owns it now and it's a nice (and much cheaper) PhotoShop wanna be with a few tricks of it's own.  Opens PSD files with layer structure intact.

Hard to beat the free CS2 as well.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?