News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What should I do?

Started by massatony, October 11, 2022, 04:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

massatony

I've given quite a few away already. In fact I'm giving away a Proco Rat this afternoon to my daughters friend. I'm seriously considering getting into amps.... how do you hide an amplifier or three! :)

massatony

Pedals don't eat birds, lizards etc.... they just make noise.

jimilee

Quote from: massatony on October 13, 2022, 11:42:34 PM
I've given quite a few away already. In fact I'm giving away a Proco Rat this afternoon to my daughters friend. I'm seriously considering getting into amps.... how do you hide an amplifier or three! :)

If you figure it out, let me know. Those are spendy. I was gonna build one, but I ended up buying more amplifier for less money. It's quite the conundrum.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jwin615

Few ideas.
What are her hobbies? How can you include her?
Start a reverb or Etsy shop with the wife. Turn it into a semi-passive income. Note where you source the pcbs and their resale policy.
Maybe a YouTube channel and Instagram, again, involving her, especially if she is into photography or videography.
Get into designing your own pcbs, so your builds are fewer and less frequent, but the "I made this" dopamine hit is bigger. Then you have 4-5 pedals to put up for sale and no licensing issues.
Probably the best idea: Build a shelf that will hold ~50(?) pedals, assuming you don't have one already. Whatever can fit on the shelf, stays.
Set a mutual goal for the income, have it be self funding and put the rest aside for a common reward. Maybe a vacation, college fund, etc.
If you get to the point of doing small runs, LLC and grow it together.

massatony

I already make my own PCB's. I've got to the stage where I can make one from scratch  in about 30 minutes ... holes included.
I have a man cave with 2 cabinets where I put my pedals and another with all the unboxed ones.
Unfortunately my wife is not interested, which is okay.
What I would like to know is what is the best medium to sell the pedals.

jimilee

Reverb seems to have slightly less riff raff to deal with than eBay. Other than, forums and friends. I sell mine on forums and to friends for 40, which I think is more than fair. Good friends get them for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

I'd like to figure out that one myself.  All kidding aside I understand how frustrating it can be to integrate this goofy hobby into real life with real people.

Listening to a few folks over in PedalPCB I hear a lot of them selling stuff but I'm not sure how well EBay does these days and Craigslist means I'd have to have peeps over here casing the joint.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on October 15, 2022, 10:27:06 PM
I'd like to figure out that one myself.  All kidding aside I understand how frustrating it can be to integrate this goofy hobby into real life with real people.

Listening to a few folks over in PedalPCB I hear a lot of them selling stuff but I'm not sure how well EBay does these days and Craigslist means I'd have to have peeps over here casing the joint.
Oh no, you gotta meet them in a neutral location. I was trading and selling guitars a few years back, that's how I did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gordo

Good to know, thx Jimi.  Did it work out in terms of $$?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on October 16, 2022, 12:00:15 AM
Good to know, thx Jimi.  Did it work out in terms of $$?

It sure did. I had to move some stuff before my last move, in addition to just horse trading. Made some money on the stuff I sold. Picked up a Vox AC12n, Got a Japanese Jackson Kelly, and several other guitars passed through here. It's just so much easier than shipping stuff, and cash can't be reversed like PayPal. I keep a close watch daily on the local CL still.