News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PRS Redux thread

Started by madbean, January 25, 2016, 04:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

So, a few months ago I mentioned I was after something PRS and I think that thread was nuked in the crash. So, I'm starting again cause I just can't let it go and I'm in the process of selling off older gear for funds. Basically, trading off a few mid-to-inexpensive guitars that I don't really need for something pretty great (and most of all well-balanced and very playable).

My local Sam Ash has a fairly pitiful selection so I'm going to try the Guitar Center in a few weeks to get a hand-on feel for a few different models. Seriously, at S.A. all the non-SE models were missing knobs and some even with broken pots! Just sad. I'm thinking if I go new it would be either a Mira Semi-Hollow (looks awesome to me) or maybe one of the new S2 Satins (like the Single-Cut which is not terribly expensive). Or possibly a used DGT.

So, any opinions from experience on these models would be greatly appreciated. I know what I don't want which is something really bling-y in terms of finish. Just not my thing! Humbuckers with split coil option is best and I don't necessarily care about having a tremolo.

Drew Hallenbeck

I would love to have me an S2 Vela in some sort of natural finish.
Saw them in Guitar World when they were coming out and just about crapped myself!
I did play one at a local shop and thought it handled beautifully. I thought about selling off a couple other guitars to fund one but I really have thinned the herd to the point where I don't want to let too many more go. The couple I would be willing to sell wouldn't bring enough for the Vela so I'm holding on for now.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S2VelaBVC

FWIW ordering from Sweetwater has always been great for me. I have a family member there so I get good deals but even if I didn't I'd still use them. Their customer service is absolutely awesome.

Good luck Bean!
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

madbean

Yeah I actually like the Vela quite a bit too. The offset body does it for me. It reminds me a lot of my old Peavey Patriot guitar.

jubal81

While we're waiting for Curtis ...

You'd love a trip to Dave's in LaCrosse. It's like a PRS warehouse. What really stood out to me was the consistent quality among all the models, including the SE, which IMHO are the best quality import instruments I've seen.

I was looking for a Ric 12, but very nearly went home with ...

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

matmosphere

You might want to call GC before you go to see what they have. I don't think either guitar center near me has any PRS stuff other than the occasional entry level model.

Happy hunting, it's always fun to see what's out there.