News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What does everyone use to hold components for a new build?

Started by Guybrush, May 01, 2012, 09:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Just wondering if anyone had any tips for holding and organising their components for a new build?

I currently print off a sheet of paper that lists all the required parts, tape it to a strip of cardboard, go through my parts box to find the corresponding component then push the legs of the part through the paper and into the cardboard. This works pretty well in keeping things organised but the only problem I have is that the cardboard is a little difficult to puncture with the components legs and they sometimes bend in the process.  Not a massive problem but I was just wondering if anyone else had a more ingenious method?

Thanks.

marmaliser

I just grab em one by one but I like your idea but rather than cardboard I would use the antistatic pink foam that IC's come in as the backing.

Scruffie

I do the lowest height component (usually resistors or diodes) first, stick them all in the PCB, put it on a piece of wood flat, flip it, solder them all and snip the legs.

Repeat for each height of component, quick and easy.

If for some reason I wasn't soldering it straight in to the PCB, I just stick everything in a baggie.
Works at Lectric-FX

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Guybrush

Quote from: Scruffie on May 01, 2012, 09:34:45 AM
I do the lowest height component (usually resistors or diodes) first, stick them all in the PCB, put it on a piece of wood flat, flip it, solder them all and snip the legs.

I really mean before this stage.  To order all your parts before they go into the PCB. 

QuoteExpanded polystyrene and a vivid marker pen?

I started doing this but heard you can get a static build up that doesn't do the components any good.  Have you not found this to be the case?

alanp

I'm lazy, I just leave the components in their individually marked and ziplocked bags Tayda puts them in, and those in turn in the envelope's bag until I want to use them.

But I saw one guy building a valve amp stick the components in polystyrene. Not much hazard for static with those.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Haberdasher

I use blocks of packing foam (the squishy kind) with strips of masking tape for writing on.  No static buildup as far as I know, and you can re-use them over and over.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Guybrush

Quote from: Haberdasher on May 01, 2012, 11:54:49 AM
I use blocks of packing foam (the squishy kind) with strips of masking tape for writing on.  No static buildup as far as I know, and you can re-use them over and over.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Static-Antistatic-ESD-Conductive-HD-Foam-127x228mm-/270618243429?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3f021ab165#ht_500wt_1180
Purchased!  Thanks Haberdasher.  I'm pretty sure it was you who mentioned the possible static problems of polystyrene.  So double thanks  ;D

Scruffie

Quote from: Guybrush on May 01, 2012, 10:12:41 AM
Quote from: Scruffie on May 01, 2012, 09:34:45 AM

I really mean before this stage.  To order all your parts before they go into the PCB. 

I actually do the two simultaneously though, saves an extra step.
Works at Lectric-FX

jkokura

Because I have all my parts organized in storage units right in front of me, I grab the parts one at a time out of the right drawer or organizer. It's quite quick for me.

I used to organize them into individual ziplocks. In retrospect, I look at the amount of time I spent doing that and it's probably less than half that now.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

I do it the same way as Jacob.  I'd prefer not to double handle things. 

Although...because I wasn't using standard stocked components for my baby builds, I just used them right from the suppliers packaging.

It's way faster though to grab from an organized bin than sort through bags.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

spaceboss

I use the BOM with a sheet of bubble wrap behind it(small bubbles), then poke all my resistors into their numbered spots. Measuring resistance once before they go into the sheet, then immediately before they go into the build.

I do this with other small parts as well.

SB

TNblueshawk

I buy a box of coin envelopes and go through the build putting the components in their own respective bag. Then get a huge ziplock and put everything in there, jacks, 3PDT, LED etc... It is all "bagged up". I currently have the next 8 builds bagged up. I also do this for inventory purposes. I'll do several builds in advance this way. I'm always short a component or two. So I go about ordering at one time for several builds. Saves on shipping for me too that way.

Sort of neurotic for sure, but that is just how my brain works. For example, on my desk at work I have paper all over it, but it is neat in their own piles and "squared up'. Can't stand having piles in all different angles. Yeah, I need help  :P But seriously, it's how I function and I'm happy that way so whatever works for you.
John