News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JHS relaunches Ross pedals

Started by lars, August 18, 2023, 11:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zigcat

Bud's grandson wants money and Josh is happy to oblige.

lars

Quote from: Zigcat on August 18, 2023, 08:16:31 PM
Bud's grandson wants money...
Apparently Bud's grandson already tried to relaunch Ross pedals as "Ross Audibles", which has already led me to some great confusion. Isn't there an old saying that you shouldn't open a restaurant in the same location that another one just failed? Anyway, I guess since nobody wanted the first reissues of Ross pedals, the absolute best option was to make a cheaper quality, more expensive third coming?

jimilee

I do t want to be that guy, but did you guys watch the short documentary?  The demand was higher than what they could supply, and bus insisted on everything being done in the US.

Buds grandson found some stuff while cleaning out the garage and thought it was a shame and wanted to carry out the legacy.

It could have been smoke and mirrors, but that wasn't my impression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lars

I will be that guy.
Here are some online quotes from the first reboot of Ross pedals, back in 2018. It hardly sounds to me like people were demanding new Ross pedals:
"The Ross Compressor is basically an MXR Dynacomp and the Ross Distortion is pretty much an MXR Distortion+.
If they truly are just reissues, there's not gonna be a lot to look at.
FWIW, I like Ross pedals. I just don't see any reason to buy a reissue. Nice that they're doing it though and I wish them well.
"

"These guys chose the wrong time to re-enter the market. I predict hardly anyone will buy these and by next year there will be no more Ross re-boot.Especially at their asking prices."

"Figured this would happen eventually. Interesting that it's in the family. Seems wholly unnecessary to me, but maybe they'll find their niche. I wish them luck."

Again, those were all from almost five years ago. Right now there is a Ross Audibles original reissue Distortion that has been sitting on Reverb for 4 months, at only $99. And the JHS versions aren't nearly as nice as those original reissues. Why did the original reissues fail? "Due to multiple production obstacles" (read, too expensive to produce with not enough demand to justify it). How do they expect the new ones to sell at $189? (read, way cheaper production cost with heavy marketing to drum up demand) Notice how JHS was very careful not to put "made in USA" anywhere on the new ones?

Govmnt_Lacky

"... after YEARS of development..."

Huh??

jwin615

Quote from: lars on August 18, 2023, 08:58:17 PM
...quality, more expensive third coming?

Who doesn't love a good third com....
I'll see myself out.

I'd rather see Ibanez reissue the soundtank and tone lok series

jimilee

Quote from: lars on August 21, 2023, 05:31:48 PM
I will be that guy.
Here are some online quotes from the first reboot of Ross pedals, back in 2018. It hardly sounds to me like people were demanding new Ross pedals:
"The Ross Compressor is basically an MXR Dynacomp and the Ross Distortion is pretty much an MXR Distortion+.
If they truly are just reissues, there's not gonna be a lot to look at.
FWIW, I like Ross pedals. I just don't see any reason to buy a reissue. Nice that they're doing it though and I wish them well.
"

"These guys chose the wrong time to re-enter the market. I predict hardly anyone will buy these and by next year there will be no more Ross re-boot.Especially at their asking prices."

"Figured this would happen eventually. Interesting that it's in the family. Seems wholly unnecessary to me, but maybe they'll find their niche. I wish them luck."

Again, those were all from almost five years ago. Right now there is a Ross Audibles original reissue Distortion that has been sitting on Reverb for 4 months, at only $99. And the JHS versions aren't nearly as nice as those original reissues. Why did the original reissues fail? "Due to multiple production obstacles" (read, too expensive to produce with not enough demand to justify it). How do they expect the new ones to sell at $189? (read, way cheaper production cost with heavy marketing to drum up demand) Notice how JHS was very careful not to put "made in USA" anywhere on the new ones?
According to the latest video, the Ross Audibles was poorly put together. The pots were plastic and kept breaking g, was one example given. According to that same video, we're led to believe they are making the pedals at JHS. Take that for what it's worth, I suppose.

I'm not a fanboy and I understand why people hate on Josh. But I think some of the builders are off on their assumption of the motives behind this line. The world doesn't need another line of un-extraordinary pedals, but I like them just the same. Maybe it's the history behind them and my love of the Ross phaser, which was one of my first builds.

This is just my POV,  I think everyone else's is valid.

I'll see myself out.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

Personally, I don't see the attraction or the value at ~AUD$300...

Aentons

That side switch is just plain silly

WonkoTheSane

Almost all of them were clones, in big clunky cases with ugly paint colors. They didn't do that well back then, and I don't think they will now. They made some circuit mods to them later on like the compressor, and the feedback control on the phaser which are the two that are pretty cool. I don't see them ever releasing the Flanger as Reticon chips are long gone and Panasonic ones just don't sound the same. The Chorus is meh, another CE-2 tweak.

I do find the fuzz interesting, and I may buy that... on sale. I don't want to pay $189 for it.
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

jimilee

Quote from: WonkoTheSane on August 24, 2023, 10:55:39 AM
Almost all of them were clones, in big clunky cases with ugly paint colors. They didn't do that well back then, and I don't think they will now. They made some circuit mods to them later on like the compressor, and the feedback control on the phaser which are the two that are pretty cool. I don't see them ever releasing the Flanger as Reticon chips are long gone and Panasonic ones just don't sound the same. The Chorus is meh, another CE-2 tweak.

I do find the fuzz interesting, and I may buy that... on sale. I don't want to pay $189 for it.
I was looking at the fuzz, too. Sounds interesting.

LaceSensor

This whole palava left me more than cold.

Reissues of Ross pedals arent worth £169, and each one has an equivalent from another vendor I would rather purchase, especially at the price

I used to own the "v3" Chorus, inc all blue and the black with yellow label Distortion. 
Chorus was £15. I true bypassed it. I recorded some early stuff with it in my teens.
I them 4 years ago for about 10X what I paid for them
https://reverb.com/uk/item/25150297-ross-chorus-blue  Its a CE-2 ish chorus, big wow!
The Disto went for £97.
https://reverb.com/uk/item/25150255-ross-distortion-1981-black

I think I won :) especially as I dont miss them, and if this hypes the originals up, it wont be the first time I havent maximised on profiteering and I am sure I will live