News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Keeping Transistors in Sockets

Started by K3yPr0gg3r, August 26, 2016, 12:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3yPr0gg3r

Hi,

Just built my first etched PCB today, and surprisingly it worked...quite well. Anyway, in the Pepper Spray etched version the Q2 (2n3565) is quite a leg stretch, and the transistor is kind of wobbly. I also want to shore up the 2n404a. Would using my heat sink on each transistor leg, and putting a drop of solder on the socket work, or would it be detrimental?

Thank you

Jules

That should be fine, I have soldered many transistors into the socket once I have chosen the ones I want, obviously try to be quick.

flanagan0718

When I finish a build and I'm satisfied with the transistors I'll put a drop of solder on one of the legs in the socket.

brucer

Quote from: flanagan0718 on August 26, 2016, 01:23:00 AM
When I finish a build and I'm satisfied with the transistors I'll put a drop of solder on one of the legs in the socket.

Me too, though I've also used hot glue.

midwayfair

Solder all three legs to the socket. Seriously, it's just not worth the annoyance if the one solder joint comes loose, or wiggles while you're stopping it (creating crackling), etc. The worst that happens if you want to experiment further is you replace the socket and go to town plugging things in again.

Incidentally, my Percolator build was what made me start doing this. My 404 kept falling out and embarrassing me.

K3yPr0gg3r

Thank you all. I may try the hot glue or just do the center leg...quickly

Thanks again