News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kill switch with adjustable speed pot

Started by djaaz, January 12, 2024, 03:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djaaz

I would love a kill switch with a momentary switch that kills the sound sort of like a tremolo with adjustable speed.
My ignorant self feels like this could be a simple and fun one.

djaaz

jimilee

Oh now, that's kickass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

djaaz

madbean

Very easy to do. A simple square wave optical tremolo. Momentary switch connects the led to ground on press. I suspect the one demoed here might be hard bypass instead which is why sometimes it's a little "clickey". But, that's just a guess. It could just be the recording.

djaaz

The pot is actually a rotary switches with 100ms incremental step.
Well, i don't care really.
Could be standalone or as an addition to the taptempo projects or standalone with tap tempo, blue pcb or yellow or green.

madbean

Quote from: djaaz on January 12, 2024, 07:11:19 PM
The pot is actually a rotary switches with 100ms incremental step.
Well, i don't care really.
Could be standalone or as an addition to the taptempo projects or standalone with tap tempo, blue pcb or yellow or green.

The rotary switch is a neat idea. Another cool idea would be to combine this with  something like the EHX Freeze. So you could sample the incoming audio and killswitch it at the same time.

jimilee

And also soft latching like the VFE stomps, then you could either temporarily latch it or just latch it......And a phaser, it needs  a phaser.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

djaaz

Quote from: madbean on January 12, 2024, 08:25:14 PM
The rotary switch is a neat idea. Another cool idea would be to combine this with  something like the EHX Freeze. So you could sample the incoming audio and killswitch it at the same time.

As my Disney addicted daughter would say, i can feel the start of something new. The freeze idea is awesome.
But then, and i don't mean to be rude, cooler would be stereo output to ping pong the xcuse my french out of the freeze, which is something my daughter will hopefully never say.

madbean

Quote from: djaaz on January 12, 2024, 10:27:42 PM
Quote from: madbean on January 12, 2024, 08:25:14 PM

As my Disney addicted daughter would say, i can feel the start of something new. The freeze idea is awesome.
But then, and i don't mean to be rude, cooler would be stereo output to ping pong the xcuse my french out of the freeze, which is something my daughter will hopefully never say.

Porting the design to FV-1 could give you all three - freeze, kill, stereo output. And, not many parts required. But, I also know exactly how to do it without the freeze, too. That could be stereo outs and be pure analog.

djaaz

Pure analog it is. I honestly believe that it would be a killer simple & original DIY project.

madbean

Quote from: djaaz on January 12, 2024, 11:38:24 PM
Pure analog it is. I honestly believe that it would be a killer simple & original DIY project.

Actually, analog audio but StomoLFO controller would be ideal. That is literally the least parts implementation and maybe lower potential for any LFO noise.

I still like the freeze idea, so it might be something worth looking into at some point.

madbean

Also, the CODA bypass has a switch for momentary or latch bypass. That would be perfect here. Just need to adapt the relay to bypass a stereo output which is easy enough.

djaaz

Quote from: madbean on January 12, 2024, 11:53:53 PM
I still like the freeze idea, so it might be something worth looking into at some point.

I really do as well.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on January 13, 2024, 12:14:33 AM
Also, the CODA bypass has a switch for momentary or latch bypass. That would be perfect here. Just need to adapt the relay to bypass a stereo output which is easy enough.
I always forget about coda. Man I'm loving this idea, I think you should get sidetracked and throw down.