News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Three Eyed Cat

Started by selfdestroyer, January 26, 2015, 10:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

This is Stomptown's Pennyroyal Chorus and man do I love it. I needed a chorus on my board pretty bad and have tried a few I did not like. I decided the next one to build was going to be a MN3007 based and found the Pennyroyal. Its a great modded Small Clone and sounds better that the 2 older Small Clones I have owned over the years.

I did a reverse etch from a image I snagged from Google Images. I painted the enclosure with a root beer sparkle brown found at a hobby store. I am also trying out a few different clear coats in a can and will have a write up on them soon on my blog. I have also been trying out a bunch of 3PDT daughter boards and used one of Rullywow's boards on this build. Worked perfectly and kept everything very clean.

Box Shot:

Gut shot:

Cody

TGP39

Man Cody,  I really like this one. I forgot all about this chorus circuit. I'm going to have a look at Stomptown's site again and pick up this one. The only chorus I've built so far is the pork barrel and I really love it.   The etch is great, but I just don't know how your able to sand those whiskers without mucking the surrounding area. I'm going to have to try my cell phone battery..  ;)  Great build.

Steve.

Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

Cortexturizer

Great as always. I stopped liking chorus pedals in general but I'm guessing if I'm gonna ever own one again it's gonna be the CE2.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

the3secondrule

This. Is. Badass.

love it :) the colour, the etch, the guts

nice lowering of the profile of the outtie DC jack too
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Bret608

This is just awesome as always.

How do you like this compared to the Celeste? I've got a Porkbarrel with a v3207 but am dying to try out an MN3007-based modulation of some sort. Keefe and Scruffie have so many awesome ones either already out or coming out I've been kind of agonizing over which to take on. I suppose I should base it on the actual sound at the end of the day!

luks999

Terrific, awesome, great :)
inside and outside :)
clean as hell

cheerz
luki

selfdestroyer

Thanks everyone.

Quote from: Bret608 on January 26, 2015, 02:45:08 PM
This is just awesome as always.

How do you like this compared to the Celeste? I've got a Porkbarrel with a v3207 but am dying to try out an MN3007-based modulation of some sort. Keefe and Scruffie have so many awesome ones either already out or coming out I've been kind of agonizing over which to take on. I suppose I should base it on the actual sound at the end of the day!

I have a big box EHX Clone Theroy that I simply love, The Celeste is an awesome chorus and I love the sound samples I have heard of it but mine is just not working right. I really need to do a tech report on it and see if I can get some help with it. It sounds to seasick/warbly to me and is not very usable. I know its something I did and not the circuit. I may try to revisit it this week.

Quote from: TGP39 on January 26, 2015, 11:28:02 AM
Man Cody,  I really like this one. I forgot all about this chorus circuit. I'm going to have a look at Stomptown's site again and pick up this one. The only chorus I've built so far is the pork barrel and I really love it.   The etch is great, but I just don't know how your able to sand those whiskers without mucking the surrounding area. I'm going to have to try my cell phone battery..  ;)  Great build.

Steve.

I have tried to get the pork barrel a few times but it was out of stock. I may try again when I get some more "fun" money. Mouser and Smallbear own my soul this month. I would love to compare it to a MS3007 based chorus.

Cody

Hogharry

That etch is amazing. It looks almost like a 3D 3 eyed cat.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

blearyeyes

Love it.  Cool paint job.

The Penny Royal is a great board. I love StompTowns PCB layouts.
I still have to box mine but now I can't use a three eyed cat theme.... 8-]

cooder

Awesome all around and some bitchin' etchin' goin' on again, you got it nailed for sure! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

jubal81

Another gem!
I don't really like chorus, but this one was easily my favorite of all the chorus I don't use.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Stomptown

Looks great Cody! I'm glad to hear you like the circuit.  I would definitely recommend the pork barrel if you like this one.  It's definitely worth adding to the collection.

Quote from: jubal81 on January 26, 2015, 07:03:03 PM
Another gem!
I don't really like chorus, but this one was easily my favorite of all the chorus I don't use.

It takes a cover song for me to pull out a chorus or flanger!  That being said, I still love to build em!   :P

nzCdog

Ohhh love this.  Makes me miss my porkbarrel even more

micromegas

Jon's pcbs are so neat.... Love the etching. It's funny actually, I've been debating this weekend with my gf what name to put to my pedal projects/builds/(probably upcoming pcbs?) and Three-Eyed Racoon got a lot of votes (registered trademark  :P)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Hexjibber

Love the colour on this one dude! Etching is class as always!