Rouge One thread. There are a few SPOILERS in here If you haven't seen it yet!

Started by matmosphere, December 16, 2016, 12:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Don't know what to expect.

Willybomb

It's pretty good, but probably not your usual Star Wars film.

Leevibe

Going in a few hours. I have no strong expectations, but I'm expecting to have fun. We will need to get a spoiler thread rolling.

daleykd

I had mixed feelings about it.  Lots of good action, but darker.  Felt like just a need for Disney to capitalize on the Star Wars franchise for little reason.

jimilee

I thought it was a bit funnier than it should have been, but overall, we liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Leevibe

I really enjoyed it. I think they did a good job of making it self contained while still fitting into the whole. I loved the score and the look of everything and there were a couple fun surprises.

matmosphere

I thought it was pretty good. Better than the prequels, maybe better than force awakens. Much more original than Force Awakens at any rate. 

Different for sure. This ones not for the kids.

culturejam

Quote from: Matmosphere on December 16, 2016, 05:14:21 PM
Much more original than Force Awakens at any rate. 

It would almost *have* to be!

Quote from: MatmosphereDifferent for sure. This ones not for the kids.

Good! Not everything needs to be Ewok-infused.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

madbean

Saw it. Honestly did not like it very much...not nearly as much as TFA. I know TFA had its issues but R1 just wasn't very engaging. Not that I hated it...lots of little things in it I really enjoyed and I appreciate they were trying to do something different. I just didn't enjoy it like the last one.

Spoilerish opinion below

Last warning -  the thing I really really hated was the cg/performance capture of a couple of well known characters from Ep4. It was just terrible for a feature film of this caliber. Very good for a video game but not a Star Wars movie. Too much uncanny valley. They should have just omitted those characters altogether.

alanp

It's pretty liberating, not really caring about star wars movies anymore.

After Phantom Menace, star wars is a big meh for me, moviewise.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

The first two thirds were... meh. The pacing was all over the place, the dialog was clunky as hell, and quite a lot of the acting was as realistic as a certain unfortunate characters CGI.

The last third, though, sold it. Once the group actually becomes "Rogue" one its everything I was hoping the flick would be. Right down to that dark hallway scene at the end. Oooh boy. So happy a Star Wars movie actually decided to try being a War movie for once. I just wish they had played the first two thirds that way.

So, the good things: The opening set piece with Mads and family. The scene in Jehda city. And pretty much everything after "They're asking for a call sign".

Meh things: Most of the dialog (so many forced inspiration speeches that would be more aggravating than invigorating), the lead actresses acting... and motivations... and characterization really. The random tentacle monster scene.

Bad things: The CGI characters, so so SO distracting. Everytime it was on screen all I could think of "That looks like plastic. Stop this. Please".

Unpopular opinion: I was perfectly fine with the amount of Vader we got. He's got a job, and that isn't dealing with a project manager's bureaucratic screw ups. It makes sense that he'd only pop up when shit got real.

matmosphere

Wasn't perfect by any means. I'm with you guys on some of the cgi but Tarkin didn't bother me a bit, the did a nice job with him. A lot of the rest of it wasn't great.

There was some clunky dialogue. It would have benefited from a little more backstory, and there was a few moments in there that seemed too much like a video game. It wasn't perfect but it was fun. I think somnif nailed it, the last two thirds were the strongest part.  Seeing those AT-AT's and the space battle was pretty fun. The hallway scene was great but way to short, and IMO made up for a weak, and disappointing  scene earlier in the film.

I wonder what it was like before the reshoots.

HamSandwich

My 2c

The bad - the CGI characters were incredibly off-putting and really took away from the real life actors. The beginning was hard to follow, understanding who was who and what was happening.

The good - The new droid was great. Vader was great. How it tied in to the ANH and gave the rebels plight more context was great. I'd put it somewhere between Episodes I-III and TFA for me.

daleykd

I'm glad most of you agree with my thoughts on the CGI.  (The guy I went with thought it was nice.)

All I could think of with the CGI was "that dude's eyes look like Dobby from Harry Potter."

sonnyboy27

It's odd to me that my wife and Bean have almost the exact same opinion...moving on.

I agree with somnif and Matmosphere. The first two thirds were a bit slow and sometimes awkward. I personally feel like they should have either explained more about the relationship between Jyn and Saw or just cut him out of the movie altogether. Saw had so much stuff in the trailers but basically added nothing to the film (which was really confusing). Also, what was up with the tentacle monster?

The last third of the movie was worth the price of admission for me though. All the tie-ins were great. I also loved how they portrayed Vader at the end. The hallway scene brought back the fear of the Vader that I remembered having when I was a kid (which the prequels kind of ruined..."NOOOOOOOOOO!").

As far as the CGI characters, I didn't really care much about Tarkin (although my wife hated it). And the 2 seconds at the end weren't terrible. But I don't think it was necessary. I feel like they could have brought in someone who looked similar to Peter Cushing and no one would have really cared.