News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

U-Boat and Pennyroyal Chorus

Started by cooder, February 24, 2015, 04:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Here's what I boxed up just recently:
on the left a THcustom U-Boat, great octaver, quite different from the lowrider (which I really dig too).
Relativly great tracking not only with single notes but even with simple chords, have to really try it more to push things and find out it's particular strengths. Also need to experiment more with position in chain to see where it works best for me.
In any case good fun! With THcustom Ueberswitch relay bypass. Thanks Thomas and Valvewizard M. Blencowe for such a great project!
And on the right Stomptown / Jon's excellent Pennyroyal Chorus. I'm not a huge chorus guy but this is growing on me! Like it, to my amazement and of course glad I built it. Won't overuse it, but does sound great!
Again, THC ueberswitch relay board, a bit of a tight one with the usual top mounted jacks that I need on my pedals.

Grumpy cat wants attention...

Look at me, look at me... ;)

BigNoise Amplification

selfdestroyer

Simply works of art... love it. My wife just perked up and said "awesome!"

Coming from her, who is not impressed with much to do with pedals, is huge. lol

Whats the story behind the painted IC on the footswitches? Also, I am always amazed when you do top mounted jacks (plastic ones at that) and DC plug on these. You must have one hell of a drill template.

Cody

alanp

Awwww... I bet the cat gets a lot of attention when you're NOT building :D (my cat was the same when I was working on a board earlier -- meow, meow, meow, look at ME, meow...)

Is the red painted IC a microprocessor of some kind?

Have you painted a guitar that way before? :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cooder

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 24, 2015, 04:31:20 AM
Simply works of art... love it. My wife just perked up and said "awesome!"

Coming from her, who is not impressed with much to do with pedals, is huge. lol

Whats the story behind the painted IC on the footswitches? Also, I am always amazed when you do top mounted jacks (plastic ones at that) and DC plug on these. You must have one hell of a drill template.

Cody
Cheers Cody, I'm sure your wife has just simply great taste and I'm very sure you won't argue with that, especially since your wife seems to have a look on here as well at times... ;)

The red painted ICs of relay board is just what Thomas does for some reason, maybe he can chirp in on the deeper meaning of that?
Maybe red ICs are simply faster? :o Maybe Thomas works on a red cardtable too then? Legends are born... ;)

I have never used a drill template, it's just ruler kung-fu.

Quote from: alanp on February 24, 2015, 05:52:31 AM
Awwww... I bet the cat gets a lot of attention when you're NOT building :D (my cat was the same when I was working on a board earlier -- meow, meow, meow, look at ME, meow...)

Is the red painted IC a microprocessor of some kind?

Have you painted a guitar that way before? :)
Nope, never did a guitar like that, because I love to see the natural grain in the wood, so with guitars I always have done a clear or sunburst type finish.
If I ever get a crappy body, timber that I would want to hide, I might do it. But then, why would I go to the effort and build a guitar and use crap wood? I rather use nice wood and see that.
BigNoise Amplification

Thomas_H

Very cool paintjob!

QuoteThe red painted ICs of relay board is just what Thomas does for some reason, maybe he can chirp in on the deeper meaning of that?
Maybe red ICs are simply faster? :o Maybe Thomas works on a red cardtable too then? Legends are born... ;)

Should I really lift the curtain and expose the very secret of those red chips?

Yes, I confess: electrons are travelling faster when they are exposed to this red color  ::)
Maybe it much simpler and when I was doing 50 chips at once I just used a spraycan to mark them programmed?

No, I am sure its the electrons ...

DIY-PCBs and projects:

brejna

Perfection! I really like your multi colour painting job. :)

GrindCustoms

Very nice work man!

Agreed with Thomas, Electrons.. yeah.. !

Digging that mini-bus-wire going from the jacks ground to enclosure... neatos!!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

bcalla

I love those enclosures.  Beautiful!

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

micromegas

I feel like the cat is judging me for been at the forum instead of working....

I love your swirls, those are beautiful and unique.  I've seen your board, though, and wonder how do you manage to distinguish between different pedals without any kind of labeling.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

cooder

Cheers guys!
Quote from: micromegas on February 24, 2015, 10:32:07 PM
I feel like the cat is judging me for been at the forum instead of working....

I love your swirls, those are beautiful and unique.  I've seen your board, though, and wonder how do you manage to distinguish between different pedals without any kind of labeling.
So far it works for me probably mostly because I know what's in there, I can remember the functionality pretty well.
If I loose the plot one day I might have to stick labels on, so far it's going ok for me.
I understand though that for others it looks just like a non-sensical mess, and I take some slight satisfaction out of it... (cackles....)... ;)
Quote from: juansolo on February 24, 2015, 01:48:41 PM
Like those a lot !
Cheers John, did you discover some hidden beewb shapes in the swirls that helped that...?
BigNoise Amplification

Hogharry

Great builds, love,those enclosures.

Quote from: Thomas_H on February 24, 2015, 12:06:32 PM
Should I really lift the curtain and expose the very secret of those red chips?

Yes, I confess: electrons are travelling faster when they are exposed to this red color  ::)
Maybe it much simpler and when I was doing 50 chips at once I just used a spraycan to mark them programmed?

No, I am sure its the electrons ...
I'm not sure about the physics behind this idea but electrons have a wave function, so it could be something to do with the Relativistic Doppler Effect. This is the same effect that causes a red traffic light to appear green if you are approaching it fast enough. This would be a great defence if you got caught jumping a red light but it involves admitting to driving at a speed in excess of 100 million miles per hour, so it may result in a speeding ticket... :D
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

luks999

great looking builds and cute cat you have ;)

Stomptown

Wow!  These are both great inside and out but I especially like the colors on the Penneyroyal!

cooder

Quote from: Stomptown on March 02, 2015, 03:24:26 AM
Wow!  These are both great inside and out but I especially like the colors on the Penneyroyal!
\
Thanks Jon and thanks for providing such a classy pcb and layout! Very enjoyable build!
BigNoise Amplification