News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Blue Cashmere and some Weta Fuzz

Started by cooder, September 21, 2020, 01:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Some more boards finished up and boxed, first is a double whammy, two separate circuits in one.
Blue Cashmere is a BJFE Baby Blue OD in top row of knobs, activated by select toggle switch up.
Nice grind to it, a classic BJFE JFET circuit that a muso friend of mine put me onto, he has a fairly old much loved and beaten up original (they go some crazy prices these days).
Select toggle down and it's the Kasha OD but without the 4 slector switch (didn't fit anymore). It has the "hot" mode hardwired and it has the 'turbo' switch like the original to push it more.
Then there's a switchable 9to18V charge pump circuit that affects both circuits for some more headroom and push, like it on both circuits. Punches better with the Baby Blue OD for sure.

Weta Fuzz is my incarnation of John Lyon's excellent 'Scarab Fuzz'. Very nice and versatile, still have to give it lots more playing time to discover the options. Fun. Hours of fun.

A Weta is by the way an impressive and very cool native NZ insect:
"They are heavy herbivorous Orthoptera with a body length of up to 100 mm (3.9 in) excluding their lengthy legs and antennae, and weigh about 20–30 g. A captive giant wētā (Deinacrida heteracantha) filled with eggs reached a record 70 g, making it one of the heaviest documented insects in the world[22] and heavier than a sparrow"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C4%93t%C4%81

And here's your friendly OZ guy Brett Kingman having a play with original, being much better at demoing it than I ever would be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1r0uGzA5Y
BigNoise Amplification

Bret608

I love that you called your Scarab the Weta! When my family and I visited NZ, my younger daughter was not keen on the thought of meeting one of those! I think you did the same transistor selection I used on mine, the inspiration for which I got from juansolo's thoughts on the Hot Silicon. I agree, it is a great, useable fuzz.

cooder

Quote from: Bret608 on September 21, 2020, 01:25:29 PM
I love that you called your Scarab the Weta! When my family and I visited NZ, my younger daughter was not keen on the thought of meeting one of those! I think you did the same transistor selection I used on mine, the inspiration for which I got from juansolo's thoughts on the Hot Silicon. I agree, it is a great, useable fuzz.
Yes it's the same transistor combo and I also based that on good ol' juansolo's recommendations.
Wetas are of course totally harmless and protected species, I wish you'd see them more often... I once saw one in a country pub sitting on the wall behind the bar, I first thought it was a gimmick fairly natural looking fake, it didn't move initially.
Three minutes later it started to move around... good entertainment.
BigNoise Amplification