News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Electric Druid Digital Delay

Started by cresconio, February 09, 2021, 08:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cresconio

It's been a while since my last post, haven't really spent a lot of time on building pedals anymore due to other hobby's, but I decided to give it another go. I'm in the process of creating a new pedalboard and of course I needed a delay. Having built multiple pt2399 based delays I decide to try out Electric Druid's Digital Delay

I must say it sounds really good, I have no noise issues whatsoever although I do have an issue with the high shelf control (chip seems to crash when the pot is at it's max position and I need to disconnect in order to use it again, need to investigate).

I always wanted to do a swirl paint and for a first attempt I'm quite happy with the result. I used humbrol enamel paint for the swirls. I first made a mask since I didn't want the entire pedal to have a swirl finish. After swirling I printed the labels etc on a decal and finished the enclosure with the wrong clear coat, resulting in a bit of a crackled finish on the sides (oops.... learnt something there ;)). Guess I got lucky that I noticed that after the first light coating.

mjg

jimilee

That's very cool. Nicely executed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

That's cool!  Do you know how the bypass is working?  I don't see a relay. 

Betty Wont

Quote from: Bio77 on February 10, 2021, 12:10:08 AM
It's a programed buffered bypass in the tap tempo firmware along with a splash feature.

Bio77

Quote from: Torgoslayer on February 10, 2021, 04:01:29 AM
Quote from: Bio77 on February 10, 2021, 12:10:08 AM
It's a programed buffered bypass in the tap tempo firmware along with a splash feature.
That sounds cool.  I'm going to check that out.

jimilee

Imma have to get one, it's in my cart now.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Mine is noisey as balls, unfortunately. Keep meaning to get back to it...never even boxed it.

Betty Wont

Mine was dead quiet, but I didn't like the way it made aliasing noises when turning the time knob. It doesn't warp like regular delay and I don't think it can be modulated. A 100% wet mix would be nice too. But at least the repeats don't sound like 2399 hash. I'd liek to see more DIY delays designed around the M65831AP.

jimilee

We'll see, now I may not want one.

gordo

This has been on my radar for ages but I've read a lot of complaints about noise.  The Flanger as well.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bio77

Quote from: gordo on February 10, 2021, 07:02:30 PM
This has been on my radar for ages but I've read a lot of complaints about noise.  The Flanger as well.
That's a bummer, I've got the Flanger PCB in my stash.  Kind of surprising, I thought one of the points to substituting all the LFO and clock circuits with a digital chip was to build a better mousetrap.   

Betty Wont

I think their FilterFx is amazing though. It has a rock solid (and quiet running) S/H mode that is worth is alone.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: gordo on February 10, 2021, 07:02:30 PM

I built this delay before, terrible amount of noise, pretty unusable.  I have also tried the Flanger, and there is a lot of noise being brought in by that LFO as well.  It was a cool idea, just not quite there.