News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Purple Phase

Started by mcallisterra, January 19, 2015, 06:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcallisterra

So I had the parts waiting for a really long time for the Nom Nom to be restocked, and when it was I jumped on it immediately! On to the pics...

This was my first attempt with alcohol inks. Everyone said how easy they were, but to be honest I had quite a bit of trouble with them. I wanted to do this purple color, but when giving it the coat or two of Mod Podge that everyone recommends, it lifted some of the purple color (even though it had been on there for days) and when it dried, gave it a sort of yellowy burgundy look as opposed to the nice purple that was on there originally. I stripped that off and tried just going straight on with polycrylic over the alcohol ink, which worked fine for the baseplate and the pedal face, but it again lifted the alcohol ink on the sides and it all ran down. On the third attempt I decided to (kinda cop-out) leave the sides bare metal, and polycrylic straight over the alcohol ink on the top. I polished up the sides a little to make it look a bit more finished. I actually quite like the silver and purple look.

And yes I know that's a weird looking LED surround. When I was soldering the LED in place, I guess the heat from the iron changed the color of the ink on the outside of the enclosure to a kind of brown. I was very annoyed after everything else. So I just rounded up some washers and that nut to cover it haha. Looks weird but it works I guess.

I had a problem with the LED not working, but found it was just a small solder bridge on the PCB. Works fine and sounds amazing now!

Here is what the Mod Podge did to the purple (I left it on the baseplate since no one sees it).

cooder

Awesome inside out and what a cool trippy ink finish! Wicked build! 8)
Edit: ... and I think the aluminum sides look great!
BigNoise Amplification

mcallisterra

Thanks!

Forgot to mention I left out the Nom switch and trimmer on this one, so it's just a 'script' Phase 90, which I prefer.

Hogharry

I think the purple looks great! The cool knob and customised LED bezel add to the look.  ;)
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

bcalla

Only you will look at that and see the struggles you had getting it to look so great.  The purple is awesome.

selfdestroyer

First thing I thought of was My Bloody Valentine's Loveless album cover.. I LOVE that purple alcohol ink. Awesome job man.

Cody

jprizz

YES! That. Is. Awesome.

chordball

mcallisterra

Thanks guys! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Sometimes they don't go as planned but can still end up alright.

I totally forgot about the Loveless album cover but you're right, weirdly similar! I wish I could say I planned that haha.

I tried to take a photo of the violet LED I put in it, and got a cool lens flare photo (considering it was on a cellphone). Never used a violet one before but they are weird looking. It messes with my eyes a little but, but it fits the trippy finish I think  ;)

mcallisterra

Also thanks to bcalla for hooking me up with a couple missing resistors that went into this build, much appreciated!  :D

wgc

love that purple, the sides too!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

kaycee

That came out nice in the end.

Possibly you got the tip to use mod podge off of one of my posts. I've found that it works over some colours better than other, red seems particularly likely to run. The Ranger inks are the most durable. I now give the inks a while to dry then put on a very light coat of Plasticote clear enamel. It's water based and doesn't seem to make the colours run too readily.

That first coat is light, but complete, and don't over brush it. Once it's sealed you are alright to carry on with as many thicker coats as you want. You could probably use Mod Podge over that and then finish with the Plastikote, MP stays tacky and sticks to things. I also give the inks a coat before stamping as stamping inks can lift the alcohol inks too.

I hope the experience hasn't put you off using these, once you get the hang of them they are a quick and reliable finishing method.

mcallisterra

Quote from: kaycee on January 23, 2015, 07:03:52 PM
That came out nice in the end.

Possibly you got the tip to use mod podge off of one of my posts. I've found that it works over some colours better than other, red seems particularly likely to run. The Ranger inks are the most durable. I now give the inks a while to dry then put on a very light coat of Plasticote clear enamel. It's water based and doesn't seem to make the colours run too readily.

That first coat is light, but complete, and don't over brush it. Once it's sealed you are alright to carry on with as many thicker coats as you want. You could probably use Mod Podge over that and then finish with the Plastikote, MP stays tacky and sticks to things. I also give the inks a coat before stamping as stamping inks can lift the alcohol inks too.

I hope the experience hasn't put you off using these, once you get the hang of them they are a quick and reliable finishing method.

Thanks for the tips! I'm not sure if it was you directly that I got the Mod Podge thing from - virtually everyone I saw using alcohol inks was doing it, so I figured it was a given.

I think in hindsight it was just me getting used to it. It certainly hasn't put me off using them - I love the effect and it is very easy to apply and make it look cool. Now that I know the limitations of it, I bet it will be way quicker and easier next time.