News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EQ pedal…

Started by greysun, April 10, 2023, 12:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greysun

Next up - EQ!

I also designed this board, hoping to do a single sided etch, but wound up ordering from JLC. Being able to board mount all the pots made this a VERY easy build (aside from the LED - some of my past yellows are reversed pos/neg and I thought I'd used them all up... PITA!). You can still see all the jumper holes throughout the board, hehe. I wanted an EQ to add some frequencies to (or maybe better manage?) my big muff (mudbunny), and I think this will work great.

This was based on the schematic from the EXCELLENT DIY guitar pedals "Rock Bottom 5-band EQ" project. I ordered 2 of their boards (if anyone wants to buy one, I've got 2, hehe), but after they shipped noticed that one of the op-amps wasn't used - and one thing led to another while I had covid, so I wound up creating a 6-band EQ plus volume and I do not regret it - but I also would never do it again, hehe. Order theirs - it's a cleaner design, and will fit in a 1590b

This board is great because you can choose your own frequencies - I had a TON of parts, so it was inexpensive, and I wanted to have fun with the enclosure color (the gold and purple make me happy). I went with a 125b enclosure, which is bigger than I normally like, but I wanted to use the Davies knobs.

Can't wait to get it running with the others!

jessenator

Quote from: greysun on April 10, 2023, 12:35:15 AM

This is where my brain went to when I saw the top side of your build. I love it. It seriously reminds me of those minimalist Lego posters of pop culture characters/shows, e.g.:

I've been looking into EQs, possibly importing a (well-kept) GE-7 from Japan, or something else, but I'm liking this option, since it wouldn't require modifying an ancient Boss PCB. Well done!

greysun

Quote from: jessenator on April 10, 2023, 01:33:49 AM
Quote from: greysun on April 10, 2023, 12:35:15 AM

This is where my brain went to when I saw the top side of your build. I love it.

I've been looking into EQs, possibly importing a (well-kept) GE-7 from Japan, or something else, but I'm liking this option, since it wouldn't require modifying an ancient Boss PCB. Well done!
Anything involving me that reminds folks of prince is a high HIGH compliment, heheh...

I was surprised that there weren't many options for building your own EQ - watching DIYs video about it, he explains his theories, which make sense... lots of options out there, the slider pots are hard to DIY, what would be unique about it... all made sense.

But, if you could customize the frequencies and don't care about using normal pots, there's lots of opportunities. Their documentation is excellent - gives the values needed for lots of frequencies and you choose the ones you want...

I used 100, 250, 750, 1.6k, 2.2k, and 6.6k. I think it's about 10db over and under for each frequency.

I could have socketed some to change them out later, but felt like I had a good range and am not afraid of commitment. Heheh.

Recommended build!

greysun

I had to make a friend for this one... same thing, different color - this will go to my Marshall amp, while purple will go to my Allen. Or vice versa. Whatever color combo works best with the other pedals (that's what's most important, right?!).

Only weird thing with this one was the green LED - I typically use the madbean recommended 4.7k resistor, but these green LEDs I have are BRIGHT! Had to remove and replace the resistor with a 10k, and it still might be too bright, but at least is acceptable.

Note to newbies: individually test your LEDs with resistors (or connect to a 10kb or 25kb pot, find the brightness you like on each, measure the pot and write it down - you'll need a 500ohm or 1k resistor in series to ensure you don't accidentally blow your led by turning the pot all the way down). Getting that resistor out after everything was wired up wasn't fun in any way whatsoever.