News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

n00b (beginner) forum

Started by CK1, October 21, 2011, 02:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK1

Hey guys,

Since I don't get to work on my pedals very much, I feel like I'm not learning this stuff as fast as I should, and therefore my questions are sometimes VERY elementary.  I'm not apologizing for that exactly, and many of you have taken the time to answer some of my beginner questions, but I don't want to dump basic questions into specific forum chains.  Oftentimes, they go unnoticed, and they also can kind of get in the way of some of the other discussions.  I do search in other forums, but the ones that I have found with the most knowledgeable members are also the ones that require MASSIVE sifting to actually  find an answer. 

So, would it be worthwhile to have a newbie/beginner forum section here, just to keep things more clearly defined?  Just a thought, and I appreciate any feedback. 

CK1

I'll take the cricket chirping as an indication that maybe I should just keep using the "general questions" forum for my basic inquiries...

jkokura

I was going to let Brian answer, but I can bet rather than open a new forum, you should continue to use the question forums. There will be some tutorial sections up soon, so watch for those.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

CK1

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on October 24, 2011, 09:51:56 PM
I would suggest checking out Freestompboxes.org. This is place I'd recommend;
http://freestompboxes.org/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=d9cf8b87b84ae67f8b560db43b053817

Thanks man.  Used to occasionally go there, but I got kind of turned off to that forum after awhile.  I'll give it another shot if you think that's worthwhile.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Re-reading your original post do you mean a place for instance with just a bunch of stickies w/ tons of basic information? Then an according topic place on the forum to ask questions and such?
FSB is full of great info, using the search bar can help to find what your looking for quickly. There are knowledgeable people who help in the beginner forum all the time.

There was supposed to be a Mad Bean learning link from the homepage that never got finished which I think would cover what your asking for. I'm sure Brian is so busy he never got around to finishing that section up. I still hope to see that link back up one day full of information.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

CK1

I was partially asking for my benefit, but also thinking about a way to keep some of these basic questions out of other discussions for the benefit of all.  FSB will work fine, in conjunction with asking additional questions here, if that's the easiest way to make it work.  Just trying to offer a suggestion, but I certainly don't want to make things more complicated or cause someone to have to do extra work.  I appreciate this forum as is, so it's cool either way. 

Thanks for the input, gents.

Guybrush

I totally +1 this.  Everyone has been enormously helpful with the questions and issues I've had so far but a forum with stickies for the basics, do's and don't, good technique, terminology etc would be extremely useful to us just starting out.  Please don't take that as a criticism of the site as it is already packed with great info and helpful users and is probably the best site on the web for pedal building. It's just an idea.

jkokura

I'll just mention again, there are some tutorials and a learning section in process that will REALLY help out with the new builder issues you guys might see. They will be coming soon, and I may be posting them just as a temporary solution so you can download the PDF's until Brian can get the website updated.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Guybrush

That's fantastic, thank you. I somehow managed to miss the part where you said all that earlier in the thread  :-[
Really looking forward to them. Thanks for all the hard work.