News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Attack of the mini amps

Started by jtn191, October 11, 2014, 04:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

I don't really need a new amp but I've been thinking a lot about something small, portable, 1-5 watt or so, good Fender/Vox cleans and nice dirty, curious on your thoughts.

-Vox lil Night Train 2w
-Egnater Tweaker
-Blackstar HT1/HT5
-DIY JTM145 http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24671
-DIY mini Trainwreck/Vox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOb-RVET8So

culturejam

I had the Lil Night Train. It actually sounds pretty good. And it's loud enough to have fun with if you bypass the tone control and crank the gain. It will do squeaky clean tones, but only at about a conversation level of volume. So if you want something to use clean with pedals, the Night Train probably isn't going to cut it.

The Tweaker is probably your best bet. It's loud enough clean to be useful, and the overdrive tones are fantastic. And you can usually find them pretty cheap used. O
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

stevie1556

I've got a Blackstar HT5. I'm still amazed at how many different tones I can get from it.

pickdropper

The Mesa TA-15 is nice, too.  You can find some decent deals on used ones.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Mike B.

I've had a Tweaker 15 and 40 - fantastic little amps and extremely versatile - especially with decent tubes. And, like CJ said, you can pick them up pretty cheap.

jkokura

Why not find a classic Fender Champ or Vibro Champ? 4 watts, ridiculously good sounding clean pushed into dirty without breaking your ear drums.

Also, my vote is the Tweaker on your list.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

kothoma