News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

fuzz/boost input blend pot value?

Started by shawnee, February 25, 2012, 12:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnee

Hello guys, I am putting together a Rangemaster and checked out some of the tweaks and mods on the web. I like the idea of using a blend pot for the input like the DAM Red Rooster instead of just a single cap on a switch in parallel with the input cap. DAM uses a 10K while Joe Gagan uses a 100K on his Easy Face. Does the value really matter or did these values get picked for a reason in each particular circuit?

joegagan

i am sure there was a reason for the 100k on the easyface. it's been 12 years, can't recall exactly why. but i can tell you that if i put it in there it was chosen after testing numerous values.

i recall really liking 250k in this position as well in similar FF based circs.

jkokura

There you go, answer from the man himself.

Hey Joe...

Jacob

(where you goin' with that gun in your hand?)
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

shawnee

sgmezei

FWIW I did this mod on a couple rangemasters and I love it. I used a 100kb for that.

shawnee

OK I just tested the Rangemaster with a 100K blend pot as suggested with a 4.7n and a 2.2uF. This thing is great! It can get real woofie like a Fuzz Face on one extreme and classic Rangemaster on the other with anything in between. I built it with a CV7112 NPN which sounds great. I may pick up a couple of Sozo caps and see if there is any added mojo over the standard panasonic films that I used. This sucker is noisy though. Hopefully it won't be too bad when I box it up. I will use shielded cable for sure.