News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Good Source fof J201 and 2N5457

Started by Guitafuzz, February 27, 2014, 05:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitafuzz

hello guys  where can i find a good source for j201 and 2n5457 i need some for my chunk chunk, cardenal tremolo and other builds.

midwayfair

Smallbear and DIYStompboxes both sell FETs that are known to be genuine.

Guitafuzz

Thanks Jon  i got a cart in order from smallbear.  ;D

ddog

Consider also using the smd j201 + a thoroughhole adapter. Might be a bit of a hassle to solder, but you save about 4 times the price (0.55$ vs 0.15$(

billstein

Quote from: ddog on February 27, 2014, 07:51:51 PM
Consider also using the smd j201 + a thoroughhole adapter. Might be a bit of a hassle to solder, but you save about 4 times the price (0.55$ vs 0.15$(

I was thinking the same thing. Just got 100 of them from Mouser for $15.00 and a bunch of through hole adapters cheap in a shared Osh Park project. J201's are no longer a problem.

pickdropper

Quote from: ddog on February 27, 2014, 07:51:51 PM

It's not a bad idea, but you do need to factor in the cost if the adapter PCB and whatever your time is worth.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Just put this together last night. I like the solution of using a layout with either TH or SMD option - so I did a F No.5ish that way and it turned out really great. What I really need to do is to make an Eagle part that combines the two with one package.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

selfdestroyer

Quote from: jubal81 on February 27, 2014, 10:27:23 PM
Just put this together last night. I like the solution of using a layout with either TH or SMD option - so I did a F No.5ish that way and it turned out really great. What I really need to do is to make an Eagle part that combines the two with one package.

That is awesome, you have any extra boards of that? I would love one or two of them.

Cody

billstein

What a great solution. Would love to see more boards like this. Seems like it would be fairly easy to do the same thing for ICs.

pickdropper

I tried to do the same thing for my Phase 90 board, but the layout was too dense for it to fit.  I'm going to end up with a separate board for SMT JFETs.

Cool to see you do it.  Great job.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Danke. I figured a Mu design would be a good place to start since the variation isn't critical.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jrod

Hey, where are y'all getting through hole adapters from? I just googled and only found adapters for IC's.

Clayford

Hah! My little adaptor board.
Consider ordering your converter and mmbfj201's from Chromosphere. He's got a good price on the pair.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

slacker775

I just ordered a batch of SMD J201s and 2N5457's from Mouser at about $0.50 a pop.  Have a bunch of these boards coming as well from Osh in the next week or so.  After the BS170 group buy, I started looking at a bunch of the boards I've done an inevitably, all of the ones that seemed a bit lackluster had a Tayda FET in them.  Now I can go and swap out with less suspect ones and give them another go.