News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Buzzaround LED not working - Oh Boy! My First Troubleshoot!

Started by das234, May 22, 2013, 11:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

I finished my Buzzaround (rocked before it was boxed) and it works fine but the LED doesn't light when I stomp it on.  I tested the LED and 4.7k resistor with a 9v battery before I soldered (and hot glued) it in and it worked.  Then I boxed everything up and now it doesn't.  I noticed when I unplugged the DC jack it lit up for a split second if that's a clue.  If I use jumpers and the 9v battery, it still lights up so the LED/resistor and associated solder joints must be ok.  Anyone have an idea where to start?  Here's a gut picture:

das234

Ooh, ooh.. I think I see something.  Unfortunately, I'm not with my pedal so I'm just looking at the picture but could it be I forget to solder the wire from the 3PDT to the input jack TIP?  Would that allow the pedal to function but not the LED?

das234

False alarm on the green wire.  I called my wife and she says it's soldered to the jack, so that's not it.  Guess I'm going to need some help after all. 

jimilee

Is the ground wire soldered on Lug 2? hard to tell from the picture,but you can see the solder on the other lugs and not this one. I just did that same thing the other day.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gingataff

is the led soldered to the 9v jack?

it looks like you are using a switching jack.
 the led needs to be connected to the same lug as the +9v for the road rage.
if you connected it to the other lug it will disconnect when you insert the plug.

that could explain the brief flash as the led gets power before being switched to ground.

Sent from my SC-02B using Tapatalk 2

wstimson

Quote from: gingataff on May 23, 2013, 06:35:36 AM

if you connected it to the other lug it will disconnect when you insert the plug.

that could explain the brief flash as the led gets power before being switched to ground.

Yeah, it's hard to see in the picture, but I also think it looks like the LED is soldered to the other lug of the 9v jack.  Gotta hook the roadrage and the LED both to the 'top' 9v lug. 

das234

Quote from: gingataff on May 23, 2013, 06:35:36 AM

That had occurred to me too because the diagram showed both wires soldered together.  It is, in fact, soldered to the other + terminal.  I figured since I wasn't adding a battery snap that I could just wire the LED to the other terminal on the DC jack but I guess not.  I won't be able to test that theory until tomorrow but I think we're on to it.  Thanks guys.

gingataff

one option would be to connect both 9v lugs by soldering a short wire such as the leg of a resistor between them.

das234

I think that's what I'll do.  I'll let you know tomorrow if it works.  I think it will.

rullywowr

I agree.  You need to solder the +9V leg to the LED on the outside of the DC jack.  The middle is disconnected when a plug is inserted and is typically reserved for connecting a 9V battery.  Easy fix.  Great build btw!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

das234

Thanks for the help.  I took your advice and soldered both leads to the same terminal on the DC jack and Voila... LIGHT!  In fact it was so bright I added another resistor to knock it down a bit.  Here she is:

wstimson