News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

One of the best of all time---

Started by madbean, August 23, 2012, 10:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Been getting back into these guys lately. I've been a fan since around 1990, saw them a couple of times, etc. It's amazing they've stuck around so long. Admittedly, I don't think I've listened to anything new from the last 6-7 years. But, oh man...it doesn't get much better than the sound of Pinnick and Tabor together. Gimmie a 12 sting bass and drop D and I'm a happy d00d!!

I did a little research on Ty Tabor's gear through the late 80's. It would be fun to put together a pedal project based around that gear (Lab Series Amp, Fender Elite)....not that it would come out sounding like Gretchen Goes to Nebraska. But, maybe some good tones could be found.

CRBMoA

I LOVE the first comment on this page!

King's X RAWKS!

atreidesheir

I loved TY Tabor's solo album.  Great power chord pop.  I have been playing "It's Love" to my kids in Algebra class this semester.  They think it is some unknown new band.  

The Lab Series amp was great but weighed 700 lbs and I am still freaked out by how complex the schems are.  There was one in a local musi store for almost 10 years that I played through regularly.  It was cool to know it was one flavor of the King's X guitar sound.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

slimtriggers

Love Kings X 8)   Although some of the references are dated, the sentiment of this one is just as relevant today:

AllenM

I grew up in Houston and during the 90's I worked at a music store called Evan's Music City.. King's X and another local group called Galactic Cowboys (check them out if you have never heard them) came in all the time getting gear. Got to know Doug and used to go to a lot of shows.. real nice guys.

AllenM

culturejam

I'm a fan as well. I like the upbeat weird-rock bands like them and also XTC.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

GermanCdn

You have to see them live.   Absolutely unbelievable. They are ridiculously tight, the harmonies are amazing.   I rediscovered Dogman this year, it is an epic rock record.   Jerry had a heart attack this year so they have been on a break. One of my faves of all time.  It was funny cause I walked into a guitar store a while back and the guy had Ogre Tones playing.  I hadn't heard it before, but I immediately knew it was Kings X without even hearing a vocal.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

timbo_93631

I had a Lab Series L5 for awhile in 2001 or so, got it at a junk store that unfortunately is no longer open.  That thing was so super heavy.  I traded it back to the junk store guy for a Traynor YGM-3 GuitarMate Reverb which was a much better amp in my mind, but then sold that one like an idiot a year later.  I'd be so happy to have that YGM-3 now.  Youth...
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Vallhagen

Glad to see more fans out there:)

For me, personally, the period around 1990 represent the most refreshing and exciting of all musical eras.

My favourite four of that period was - and still are - Faith No More, Saigon Kick, Warrior Soul and ... King's X. If i have to rank them, FNM is first, closely followed by King's X. Great stuff:)
Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/