News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Serendipity - Boneyard - BYOC OD2

Started by keysandguitars, August 26, 2011, 02:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keysandguitars

So after much lurking and chatter over the last week, I've finally uploaded some pics of my first builds. They are in order of build:

BYOC - OD2 - I really like this pedal and recommend it. It's a good easy first build if you can solder half-assed (which is what I could do at the start) and the instructions make for a first good build with hand-holding. I painted the enclosure with rattle cans and might add decal artwork, idk yet.

Madbean Boneyard. I chose to use a big enclosure mainly cuz my fat foot need the room for 3 3PDT switches. I played on it heavy for a day and there was a random hiss. I powdered it down and played on it the next day. It seems to have lost some grit and gain. It still sounds good, but the first couple hours on it I could have sworn I was Angus Young, it sounded that sweet. Any thoughts? I'm going to debox it and check all the components.

I etched the board while waiting for Brian to send me one I bought. He was slammed, I was impatient and had the components jonesin' to be soldered. I'll probably build a second one and A/B it against this build. I know a friend that'd appreciate an early Christmas gift. The enclosure is Reptile Green from PedalPartsPlus and it's sweet up close, top notch work by PPP.

Madbean Serendipity
Etched board, preprinted enclosure from Mammoth, nice but PPP's quality is much better...and more expensive. The paint scratched off very easily when drilling and I tried to be super careful. I'd suggest ordering a predrilled and painted enclosure from Mammoth to avoid nicking up your paint job. I love this pedal already, it's a sweet OD. I tried cramming it in a 1590B and it's tight, especially for a noob. I like a bigger box and may order a 125B from PPP. We'll see.

I'll hopefully have more to come in the future. I need to decide if I should start learning the waterside decal technique or leave them bare. I ilke the bare look a lot, but some of the decal work you guys do makes me want to give it a rip.

Thanks to all who generously contribute on this forum, you make life much easier. To the noobs, search the forums and read anything you can on the pedal your building before you build and start asking questions. I think you'll learn more that way have an easier time with the build. Peace.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

jkokura

Sooper cool job man! Welcome to the forum!

One thing I want to add - the PPP enclosures are sometimes a bit more expensive than Mammoth, but they do have a great track record with me for customer service, and they have a great variety of colours! They also have a greater variety of sizes available, including my favourite 125B, the new 125BB, and all the 1590 sizes you could want.

About your boneyard - have you got it insulated from the enclosure? It looks like it could short out, but I can't tell. Everything looks right, but the problem you're experiencing could also be related to your power supply, or your power section on the PCB if there were a problem on there. Perhaps your plan to inspect it closer will yield something.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

cjkbug

I'd like to see the bottom of the pcb of the boneyard. sounds like you may have a cold solder joint or 2 causing your signal to be weak. or if you manhandled the stuff getting it into the box you might have a wire that's ready to snap off. let's take a look.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

keysandguitars

Thanks guys. I agree Jacob, the 125B is my favorite. It's amazing how you guys can cram all this stuff into tiny enclosures and make it immaculate, but I like the bigger 125B.

The back of the Boneyard PCB is covered in electrical tape. I didn't know what else to do. When I get around to pulling it out I'll take a picture and post it, thanks for offering to take a look cjkbug.

cab_eleven

nzCdog

Hey dude, nice builds  They looks really tidy, and I love those Alloy knobs!

keysandguitars

Thanks nzCdog. I got them from Mammoth: http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4SKA-18X12UN-p/700-1700.htm

I'm going to order some machined aluminum knobs from Small Bear one of these days. His selection looks pretty good. But, next I need to figure out if I'm going to decal these things. I don't know that I'll be able to keep all these knobs straight in a pinch.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Some sweet looking builds here! I really like the look of the lime green sparkle powerdercoat with the aluminum knobs!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals