News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Big Muff Mayo

Started by billstein, July 14, 2013, 06:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Here is my second attempt at etching. If I could do it again I'd leave it in longer, but it was bubbling up so violently and really heating up so I took it out before I should have. It was only in for 15 minutes. Still learning  ;D

Here you go.

[URL=http://imageshack.com/i/0jimg2198agj/]

[URL=http://imageshack.com/i/5eimg2192uj/]

hoodoo

Very nice mate, great etch, tidy guts, big fat LED, beautiful :D, all the best, Matt

jprizz

I really like how that etched turned out. It's got that 'favorite pair of old worn-in blue jeans' look to me. What is is your not happy with? And thats really tidy on the inside too.

wstimson

Yeah, I'd say that came out just right, man.  Looks great.

pickdropper

Quote from: wstimson on July 14, 2013, 01:34:10 PM
Yeah, I'd say that came out just right, man.  Looks great.

Same here.  Etch looks very nice and the guts look great.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

billstein

Thanks guys for the kind words.

The problem with the shallowness of the etch is when I sanded it after. It sanded off the letters for the tone knob. If it were a touch deeper that wouldn't have happened.

No big deal, I still like the way it looks, just another lesson learned.  15 minutes isn't long enough. Next time I'll double that.

pickdropper

Ah, I see.  That would bother me, too.

I suspect the next one will sort that out.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

spaceboss

Looks badass to me!

When etching it's a fine line between too shallow and too deep (where the fine details get blurred out.) It's such a violent/primitive process -- that success doesn't mean the same thing as the successful application of a water slide decal.

For example, someone like glops' work is absolutely perfect; without a doubt. I think that it is largely because he rolls with and highlights the quirks and limitations of the medium.

Your design works very well for an etch.

selfdestroyer

This is an awesome build. I love the etch and the PCB looks great. I would love to hear this thing...audio demo?

Petrucci

midwayfair

Great build all around. Get a protective coat on the etch if you haven't already done so and it should last a long time. :)

selfdestroyer

Quote from: midwayfair on July 17, 2013, 01:47:57 PM
Great build all around. Get a protective coat on the etch if you haven't already done so and it should last a long time. :)

Jon, what do you use for that?

billstein

Quote from: selfdestroyer on July 17, 2013, 08:58:05 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on July 17, 2013, 01:47:57 PM

Jon, what do you use for that?

I was wondering the same thing. I used car polish on the two etches I've done so far. Not sure this is adequate though.

hoodoo

I'd have to disagree with putting a protective coat on the etch. I clear coated the first etch i did and it loses the depth that you've created and ends up looking like a dodgy decal. You could paint the black bits any colour you like to enhance the look, but other than that i'd leave it alone. The polished finish dulls over time, but i think this just adds to the look, IMO  :)

spaceboss

I like clear coat on most etches, especially if they are deep enough.