"Warmest" sounding compressor?

Started by thesameage, June 01, 2014, 01:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Quote from: midwayfair on June 01, 2014, 07:36:01 PM
Quote from: jkokura on June 01, 2014, 07:10:20 PM
Quote from: thesameage on June 01, 2014, 05:10:24 PM
Quote from: jkokura on June 01, 2014, 03:57:25 PM
I wouldn't call the Engineer's Thumb 'warm.' I might call the Ross/Dyna comp warm, and I really like it.

Jacob

Isn't the ET essentially a Ross/dyna?

No.

Jacob

Hehe, this is the best answer. :)

:)

jubal81

My advice is to build up a few different types and do head-to-head tests with a test rig. Here's what I like:

FET: Bearhug (1776 effects)
OTA: Engineers Thumb (JMK - no contest, far above the Ross/Dyna)
Optical: These seem to vary these least and you can try: Afterlife (MB), Compulator (Rully), Mictesters really cheap (Vero) and the DOD280 (Tonepad)
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

selfdestroyer

When I was looking for ideas what compressors to build I red up here.

http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/comptypes.shtml

Great information.

Cody

Droogie

From what I've built so far:
Compulator
4 Knob Ross (Pickdropper)
Engineer's Thumb
Afterlife
Philosopher's Tone (vero)
Rotten Comp (GrindCustoms)
Dynacomp
I'd describe the Compulator as the "warmest" subjectively speaking, without too much actual treble attenuation. It's also very simple to dial in...
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

rullywowr

I agree that the Demeter is a unique compressor and adds some nice sparkle. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

ckim715

Quote from: rullywowr on June 02, 2014, 01:35:18 PM

Just to give some unsolicited press coverage, I just ordered one of Rullywow's Demeter boards...cannot wait to build it. Looks very simple (low parts count) and all the reviews of the Demeter Compulator have been nothing short of stellar. Can't wait.
-Charlie

jubal81

Quote from: ckim715 on June 02, 2014, 06:57:08 PM

Just to give some unsolicited press coverage, I just ordered one of Rullywow's Demeter boards...cannot wait to build it. Looks very simple (low parts count) and all the reviews of the Demeter Compulator have been nothing short of stellar. Can't wait.

Just a heads-up: I got distortion with the ST branded 353 opamps. The Fairchilds worked great.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

rullywowr

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

ckim715

Quote from: jubal81 on June 02, 2014, 07:20:32 PM
Quote from: ckim715 on June 02, 2014, 06:57:08 PM

Just a heads-up: I got distortion with the ST branded 353 opamps. The Fairchilds worked great.
Thanks for the heads up, I haven't ordered the components yet, will make sure I get fairchild ic's.
-Charlie

thesameage

Quote from: rullywowr on June 02, 2014, 07:35:40 PM

I'm going to open myself up to look noobish again  :)... but would the Demeter and Afterlife be "that" different as they are both optical?

midwayfair

Quote from: thesameage on June 02, 2014, 08:05:37 PM
Quote from: rullywowr on June 02, 2014, 07:35:40 PM

I'm going to open myself up to look noobish again  :)... but would the Demeter and Afterlife be "that" different as they are both optical?

The method of gain reduction is different (feedback loop gain in the afterlife vs. voltage divider in the compulator), the compulator relies ENTIRELY on the vactrol's on/off times for the attack and decay vs. an envelope detector circuit in the Afterlife, and the Afterlife is capable of a higher ratio (but the way it's set up by default is going to be about the same).

GermanCdn

There's a three knob version of the Compulator floating around on OshPark as well that has an external gain control which is quite interesting.  Don't know that it makes it "warmer" but definitely makes it different.

But the truth is, once the compressor monster gets ahold of you, you're going to be building all of them anyway for their various nuances.  I was never a big compressor guy, I was quite happy with my Tone Press.  And now I've built four Bearhugs, two ETs, three Dynas, two Rosses, three Afterlifes, two Compulators, a Love Squeeze, etc, etc, etc.  It's a lot easier if you just don't fight it.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

thesameage

You definitely have a problem! I may end up just sticking with your afterlife/efx loop/eq/fatpants idea, though. 

GermanCdn

Quote from: thesameage on June 02, 2014, 08:43:18 PM
You definitely have a problem! I may end up just sticking with your afterlife/efx loop/eq/fatpants idea, though.

It's not a problem if I'm OK with it :P.

But yes, that's a great combo.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 02, 2014, 08:33:56 PM
There's a three knob version of the Compulator floating around on OshPark as well that has an external gain control which is quite interesting.  Don't know that it makes it "warmer" but definitely makes it different.

But the truth is, once the compressor monster gets ahold of you, you're going to be building all of them anyway for their various nuances.  I was never a big compressor guy, I was quite happy with my Tone Press.  And now I've built four Bearhugs, two ETs, three Dynas, two Rosses, three Afterlifes, two Compulators, a Love Squeeze, etc, etc, etc.  It's a lot easier if you just don't fight it.

I found it for ya guys.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7llfrc9pxy94gne/Optical%20Compressor%20Build%20Guide%20v2.pdf

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/2ZeUH1uG

Cody