Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Envirotex questions for the experienced

Started by harryklippton, November 30, 2020, 10:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

This is what DIY is all about fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

Quote from: HootyHoo on December 18, 2020, 07:45:45 PM
Quote from: jimilee on December 18, 2020, 07:33:54 PM
Quote from: HootyHoo on December 18, 2020, 07:14:22 PM
Quote from: Stomptown on December 18, 2020, 07:08:07 PM

I can't imagine that would be easier than pouring Envirotex on top of the enclosure. It's really not as difficult as some make it out to be.  Like anything, there is a learning curve, but I rarely have issues. Just pour way less than you need and use a stirrer stick to tease it out to the edges. Add more as needed.  Lifting decals also shouldn't be an issue if you drill first and plug holes with painters tape before pouring.  Just make sure to use a step bit to drill through epoxy when finished.

Can you apply thin coats with a foam brush, or does that create issues?
I think that would cause issues and end up being way more hassle than the previously mentioned method. I use enviro using the stirrer stick method. The hardest part is waiting the 72 hours for it to be rock solid.

I see some of these being done on youtube with epoxy and it has left me nothing but horrified. If you know of someone who does it right, please post a link.  Thanks!

If your concerned about ruining a perfectly good enclosure, I would recommend starting out with a bare aluminum enclosure with decal (or etch) instead of powdercoat/painted enclosure.  That way, if you are unhappy with result, you can easily peel off the epoxy after warming it up with a heat gun and try again. I've done this many times and it works great!

PapaKev

Quote from: Stomptown on December 19, 2020, 02:23:39 AM
Quote from: HootyHoo on December 18, 2020, 07:45:45 PM
Quote from: jimilee on December 18, 2020, 07:33:54 PM
Quote from: HootyHoo on December 18, 2020, 07:14:22 PM
Quote from: Stomptown on December 18, 2020, 07:08:07 PM

I can't imagine that would be easier than pouring Envirotex on top of the enclosure. It's really not as difficult as some make it out to be.  Like anything, there is a learning curve, but I rarely have issues. Just pour way less than you need and use a stirrer stick to tease it out to the edges. Add more as needed.  Lifting decals also shouldn't be an issue if you drill first and plug holes with painters tape before pouring.  Just make sure to use a step bit to drill through epoxy when finished.

Can you apply thin coats with a foam brush, or does that create issues?
I think that would cause issues and end up being way more hassle than the previously mentioned method. I use enviro using the stirrer stick method. The hardest part is waiting the 72 hours for it to be rock solid.

I see some of these being done on youtube with epoxy and it has left me nothing but horrified. If you know of someone who does it right, please post a link.  Thanks!

If your concerned about ruining a perfectly good enclosure, I would recommend starting out with a bare aluminum enclosure with decal (or etch) instead of powdercoat/painted enclosure.  That way, if you are unhappy with result, you can easily peel off the epoxy after warming it up with a heat gun and try again. I've done this many times and it works great!

Great info. Thanks!

Thewintersoldier

What brand envirotex do you use. Is it at home depot?
Who the hell is Bucky?

harryklippton

I'm using this. I bought it at Michael's craft store online

jimilee

Quote from: harryklippton on December 20, 2020, 09:41:09 PM
I'm using this. I bought it at Michael's craft store online
Same here, I got it at the hardware store though. Lowe's has got Parker's Glaze or or Parks or something.  I used that a lot too, the hardware store is now closer to me.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.