News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fender Tweed emulation pedal?

Started by jimilee, July 30, 2013, 05:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Is there a Fender tweed (sounding) pedal?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

kothoma

Wampler Tweed '59
Catalinbread  Formula No 5
maybe Tech 21 SansAmp Character Blonde

GermanCdn

ROG Azabache (available from Thomas_H)

ROG Professor Tweed (available from Chi_boy)

Tweedy Bird (used to be available from Chi_boy, might be able to find some from somebody here)
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

midwayfair

Azabache x 1000.

I'm just going to list it as my favorite overdrive, and possibly my favorite dirt pedal overall. It's the only dirt pedal except for my winnie the pooh fuzz face that earned a permanent spot on my main board in the last two years (and for a while, it replaced my fuzz face as the only dirt pedal I was using).

The Wampler has slightly more clarity in some settings, and its gain structure is almost identical, but the Azabache for me nudges it out on "feel" (slightly more sponginess) and simplicity (the EQ is surprisingly versatile even without the extra controls). The bright switch on the Azabache is particularly great for the higher gain sounds, because it cuts treble BEFORE the distortion, whereas the Wampler can only cut it after. So the Azabache intermodulates less on higher gain settings, without needing to fiddle with your guitar tone pot when switching your overdrive on and off.

The only change I would make when building the Azabache is to make the last set of diodes asymmetrical.

I really need to make a demo of it. Maybe I'll do that tonight while I'm shooting the vid for my contest entry.

slimtriggers

kothoma

Yeah, forgot the Azabache. I have the board laying around, unpopulated, like so many others. So much to do, so little time. Thanks for reminding me!

Quote from: midwayfair on July 30, 2013, 06:04:07 PM
The only change I would make when building the Azabache is to make the last set of diodes asymmetrical.

How would you describe the difference this makes?

Quote from: midwayfair on July 30, 2013, 06:04:07 PM
I really need to make a demo of it.

I'd really appreciate that!

Mike B.

+1 again on the Azabache. Jon said it better than I could've.

And, on a side note, why have we not seen pics of the Winnie the Pooh FF? Cartoon characters on pedals are always awesome!

kothoma

Quote from: slimtriggers on July 30, 2013, 06:09:52 PM
Les Lius

I'm not really convinced. These Electra diode clippers can give grit to a good amp. But "tweed emulation"? Tweeds also have a great clean sound.

midwayfair

Quote from: kothoma on July 30, 2013, 06:20:13 PM
Quote from: slimtriggers on July 30, 2013, 06:09:52 PM
Les Lius

I'm not really convinced. These Electra diode clippers can give grit to a good amp. But "tweed emulation"? Tweeds also have a great clean sound.

Yeah.

The Les Luis/Lavache was fun because it was simple. And the Electra Distortion is generally an okay circuit. But it had nothing in common with the sound or feel of an actual tweed amp.

jimilee

Quote from: GermanCdn on July 30, 2013, 05:15:21 PM
Sounds like this is the one to have, how can I get hold of Thomas_H to have a look at the PCB?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

kothoma

Quote from: jimilee on July 31, 2013, 01:57:51 PM
Quote from: GermanCdn on July 30, 2013, 05:15:21 PM
Sounds like this is the one to have, how can I get hold of Thomas_H to have a look at the PCB?

http://diy.thcustom.com/shop/rog-azabache-pcb/

jimilee

Thank you. Annnnndd.....it's out of stock. Facepalm

midwayfair

I think jubal81's PCB file is on Pedal Geeks United if you want to get it from OSH Park. It's meant for a 125B but will fit in a 1590B if you're careful with the drilling template (I used the one for the Kingslayer, I think). There was also one on DIYSB from when ROG first released the design, but I think that one's made for a 1590BB. Otherwise I'd just ask Thomas if he's restocking them.

jimilee

Quote from: midwayfair on July 31, 2013, 02:29:08 PM
I think jubal81's PCB file is on Pedal Geeks United if you want to get it from OSH Park. It's meant for a 125B but will fit in a 1590B if you're careful with the drilling template (I used the one for the Kingslayer, I think). There was also one on DIYSB from when ROG first released the design, but I think that one's made for a 1590BB. Otherwise I'd just ask Thomas if he's restocking them.
Thanks Jon, I'll do that, it looks like he is on Holiday till today, so i will give him a few to catch up on things. Ideally  1590b or smaller is what I'm after. It's going into a multi build, so smaller is better.

midwayfair