News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Transistors sockets

Started by Gledison, July 08, 2013, 07:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hi everyone!
I´ve seen in some Build information a preferable use for transistors socket.
Is there any other advantage apart from experimental purposes?
what kind of sockets do you recommend?
Cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

alanp

Sockets are useful for things like fuzzes, where different transistors behave like vegemite and strawberry jam, or place where different manufacturers regard pin outs as useful things, to be sure, but nothing to be WORRIED about, and where some use EBC, some use BEC, others use Eeny Miny Mo...

Sockets are useful in the event where you suspect you may have to otherwise desolder crap, a LOT.

For single-in-line stuff (0.1" spacing (I have no freaking idea what this is in millimeters, my nana uses inches but no one else does)) the Tayda SIL sockets work great. For chips (IC's), any IC sockets work well enough, you will WANT these as desoldering chips is something you'd wish on Illidan, Kael'thas, or Lord Rust. For fancy-pants sockets, I just chop up Tayda SIL sockets.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

stevie1556

I use sockets for transistors and chips. Complete PITA trying to desolder them.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

wstimson

Yep... it's mostly as insurance in case you need to desolder the transistors or ICs (which is a pain).
Also, there are some transistors that are particularly heat sensitive where soldering them directly can inadvertently burn them out.  But that is typically not as major of a concern as pinouts/swaps/etc... and not wanting to desolder them.

BraindeadAudio

Tayda 2n7000, 2N5457 both have been giving me problems from overheating so I socket them

chromesphere

Quote from: alanp on July 08, 2013, 08:00:18 AM
vegemite

Thank you for using this word on a diy pedal related forum.  I'm now totally at home.

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

jimilee

They are helpful for socketing resistors too
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

billstein

Quote from: chromesphere on July 10, 2013, 02:52:34 AM
vegemite

Thank you for using this word on a diy pedal related forum.  I'm now totally at home.

Paul

I lived in England for almost 12 years and could never figure out how the Brits could eat that stuff!

I loved the advertising though. "Vegemite. You either love it or hate it!" I especially liked the one where the guy is kissing on his girlfriend, sneaks off to the kitchen to take a bite of bread with Vegemite on it, goes back and kisses his girlfriend and she starts gagging. Great stuff. I miss the British sense of humor (I mean humour).

chromesphere

Quote from: billstein on July 10, 2013, 04:09:43 AM
vegemite

Thank you for using this word on a diy pedal related forum.  I'm now totally at home.

Paul

I lived in England for almost 12 years and could never figure out how the Brits could eat that stuff!

I loved the advertising though. "Vegemite. You either love it or hate it!" I especially liked the one where the guy is kissing on his girlfriend, sneaks off to the kitchen to take a bite of bread with Vegemite on it, goes back and kisses his girlfriend and she starts gagging. Great stuff. I miss the British sense of humor (I mean humour).
Im no food historian, but im pretty sure vegemite is Australian :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite
Paul

Edit: same sort of thing as promite problably?  Same food different gag reflex? :D

billstein

Quote from: chromesphere on July 10, 2013, 04:17:19 AM
Quote from: billstein on July 10, 2013, 04:09:43 AM
vegemite

Thank you for using this word on a diy pedal related forum.  I'm now totally at home.

Paul

Im no food historian, but im pretty sure vegemite is Australian :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite
Paul

Edit: same sort of thing as promite problably?  Same food different gag reflex? :D

No. It was definitely Vegemite. It is an Australian food but you could get it in U.K. stores.
Found this link from an Australian news site complaining that Vegemite was now cheaper in other countries. They use the U.K. as an example.
http://www.news.com.au/money/cost-of-living/vegemite-is-cheaper-overseas-than-in-australia/story-fnagkbpv-1226576999305

chromesphere

I visited a friend in scotland.  She was saying that she 'finally found a place that sold Vegemite'.  :)

It's expensive being an aussie.  We pay for it.  Vegemites kind of a national food so its quite ridiculous to hear that we're paying more then everyone else.  Dont get me started on that! lol

Paul

Gledison

Jizz i have to try this stuff! They said is a byproduct of brewers!  It taste like beer?😛

alanp

You tend to either think that the mean spirited bastard in front of you is trying to murder you through poisoning you with that black-brown crap, or think ho-leeee this stuff is gooo-ooood.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Gledison

coming back to focus...:P
can I use this kind of socket for Germnaium transistors (T05/39)? any code specific I should know?
thanks in advance

GermanCdn

Those are the ones.  If you're only putting a small order in, order them from Musikding instead of Banzai though, it will save you a few Euros on shipping.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.