News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mounting pcb boards to the enclosure

Started by Guitar Master, August 15, 2011, 10:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitar Master

Hi, I just got the parts for my first pedal, and i was just wondering, how do most people mount the pcb to the enclosure? or do they just let it dangle there?

Thanks

jkokura

Methods vary from builder to builder. Certainly you need to ensure that your PCB does not 'short' against your enclosure. Most of us use electrical tape, or sticky backed foam, or some other form of insulator.

You can go full bore and do standoffs, but I don't think any Madbean projects are drilled for standoffs.

It's up to you - what kind of ideas have you had so far?

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Guitar Master

Thanks both of you guys, I think i'll go with the foam idea. I'm excited to build my first pedal!

bigmufffuzzwizz

The float method works well too. I just finished boxing a MB Machine and used the wires from the pots to the PCB to put a little space and keep anything from touching ground and shorting the signal. It fit so snug I really didn't need anything else.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

raulduke

I have started using velcro strip (hook side on the pots and soft side on the pcb) and this works really well.

Its the same method that D*A*M Stompboxes uses.

Bret608

Thanks for this and the other thread on the same topic! I just got my first Madbean PCB (Pepper Spray) and had the exact same questions. I ordered pots with solder lug terminals instead of PC mount, and I thought I was going to have to re-order.

On the Pepper Spray in particular, the holes on the PCB for the SPDT diode switch are big enough for solder lugs to fit through. I was playing around with the PCB, pots and SPDT last night, and it looks like the SPDT switch in itself gives the PCB a little clearance over the backs of the pots.

So I'm thinking, if the switch is soldered to the board really nicely, it could almost serve as a standoff in and of itself, right? Or at least I could double this up with the velcro or cardboard. Of course, this leaves aside the whole question of whether I can successfully solder the lug terminals into those large holes!

This is my first post here. Love this forum so far!

gtr2

Another trick you can do.  Takes a little bit of careful planning.  You can use old cut component leads to solder from the pot to the pcb holes.  It works pretty good, but it is a little tricky.  It would relieve a little strain from the switch as well.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Bret608

Quote from: gtr2 on October 04, 2011, 03:43:25 PM
You can use old cut component leads to solder from the pot to the pcb holes.  It works pretty good, but it is a little tricky.  It would relieve a little strain from the switch as well.

Josh

Ahh...that makes a lot of sense! It would essentially approximate having board-mounted pots. I may give that a try. I was worried about the one switch doing all the work of holding the PCB. Thanks Josh!

Bret

Rockhorst

I used velcro first, but I've switched to double sided tape, used to hang mirrors to walls. Very strong, so test your effect before boxing.

Meowy

I also like using double sided tape. Often I will only adhere it to the enclosure, leaving the backing on the side that faces the board and just let the board rest on it. This also works well as a small spacer if your battery is jiggling around