News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

GGG Power Supply

Started by brejna, May 11, 2013, 10:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch1naski

It looks promising, especially considering how much a commercially available isolated supply costs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

RobA

I've breadboarded this with the intention of building it. It works nicely. The only problem is that it won't fit in any of my normal effects size enclosures. The transformers are too tall. So, I'm looking for a new box that it'll fit in.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

brejna

Thanks for responce, didi you  experience any noise?
Brane

RobA

It was cleaner than the commercial power bricks I have. It's going to depend mostly on what you do with the filtering caps. I felt that they were a bit under rated, so I increased the caps up to 470µF on the input side and then added a 100n after the 100µF on the output side. I used decent quality caps (Nichicon FW and Panasonic FR).

I didn't test it with a wide range of pedals though. I just tossed whatever was close by on it so that I could be sure that it was going to work. I'm still looking for a decent enclosure for it that can fit the transformers before I build it though. I may just build a pedalboard and mount it directly in the thing.

One thing to note is that I was going to do two 18V and two 9V outputs. It's the transformer for the 18V pair that is too big. I think that you could fit the transformers for the 9V outputs into a 125B box pretty well.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

brejna

Wow!! It's nice to hear that it works very clean.
I am planing to make multipedal with just one 230V power cord going from pedal and I want to put power supply board  inside of  the pedal. Of course I attend to spllit comp/drive effects and modulations/delay.

ch1naski

Maybe the 18V transformers would fit in   1590bb tall box....
Two 9 and two 18V is exactly what I plan on also. One side to power a forum vibe build, the other for whatever.
one louder.

brejna

Maybe it is possible, I've read datasheets for these two transformers :
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Hahn-BVEI3032036.html
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Hahn-BVEI3052058.html
and they are 2,4 cm or 0,94 in high, so it is possible to put them in the 1590BB but it will be very tight.
Inside dimensions of 1590BB is 2,8cm so it is bit tricky, the most important thing are Hex Standoff spacer 'cause they will carry thr whole pcb... or do you have another solution for that?

RobA

I've got the transformers that are listed in the webpage, the Triad 553-FS36-65 and there is no way it'll fit in a 1590BB with the PCB and standoffs. It won't fit in a 125B (although it is very close and it might be possible to get the 125B to work with careful arrangement).

It would work in something like the 1590S. But, I don't have any of those to test for sure.

If the transformers you are looking at are just a little bit smaller than the ones I have, it could be doable in the 1590BB, but I think it's going to be very tight.

ch1naski

On the GGG page, it says it was built into a 1590S, with stand offs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.