News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Green Ben

Started by smcv, February 20, 2015, 01:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smcv

What type of wire is best to use for power connections? Gauge and type.
What type of wire is best to use for signal connections? Gauge and type.
Best potentiometers for volume, tone and drive.
Are the volume and drive controls on the green bean, opposite the TS 808 ( left to right )?

Thanks

mgwhit

24 gauge wire is great.  22 gauge is fine, too.  I use 24 gauge stranded for power and signal.  It's just not an issue at these low current levels.

Most people use 16mm Alpha pots.  There are other brands available, but Alphas do the job just fine.  The Green Bean PCB supports PCB-mounted pots if you want to use them, but you can also use solder-lug pots and wire them yourself if that's all you have or if you want a different physical layout.  You've asked about it before, but I'll reiterate: B500K (linear taper) Drive, W20K (TS Tone taper) Tone, A100K (audio taper) Volume/Level.

The Green Bean has the Drive knob on the right and the Volume/Level knob on the left, which does appear to be the reverse of the standard TS808.  Look at the PCB (or the image in the build doc).  The PCB will be flipped over when it is mounted in your enclosure, so the knob order on the front of your pedal will always be the reverse of what is on the front of the PCB.

You've made several posts about the Green Bean and appear to be new to this.  I recommend you:

a.) Follow the link to Pedal Parts Plus (PPP, above) and peruse their shop. I'm not suggesting you buy from them, but almost everything they stock is appropriate for DIY pedal building.  That should give you an idea of what parts are appropriate.

b.) Use the Advanced Search feature here to search for "Green Bean" in the Build Reports section of the forums.  That should give you some ideas of how different people are using the Green Bean PCB.  If you have trouble with the Advanced Search feature, just google "Madbean Green Bean".

Good luck and have fun!

smcv