News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cheap DIY Bluetooth Page Turner

Started by Marshall Arts, September 27, 2023, 11:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Arts

I haven't posted in years, I think, but I thought you guys might like this one:

Ever wished to own one of these bluetooth page turners like Pageflip, Airturn, iRig BlueTurn but didn't like the price tag (around 100$)? Years ago, I built this funny-looking prototype in a quick-and-dirty approach which I used for about four years: https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=30108. The only downside besides the looks was, that this pedal went into standby after just a few minutes and I had to wake it up now and then by pressing one of the footswitches.

As the wonderful ESP32 chip is available on a Wemos D1 board now (https://makersportal.com/shop/esp32-d1-mini-bluetoothwifi-board), I thought it would be fun to build a new one, better looking and without the standby-issues. It's probably the easiest pedal you can build, less parts than a fuzz, no PCB. I used a 3D-printed frame to hold the Wemos on the backside, it's powered either by a cell phone wall wart or a power bank (will probably run for 40 hours on a 10 Ah power bank).

Arduino code and 3D-Model available (just PM me).

Marshall Arts

P.S. It does come with side walls ;-)

jimilee

I know what a page turner sounds like it does. What kind of pages are you turning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

derevaun

Partly to avoid this:

A lot of musicians have their music on a Ipad Pro (because it's big) and learn to use a footswitch to turn the page.

Serving as a page turner sucks--you have to be totally up on the piece and on how the pianist plays it, including repeats and jumps to the coda at the end, etc. Music printers have to lay out instrumental parts to be easy to play through a page turn, musicians who share a stand can piss each other off about page turning, but now you can just step on a switch and it's taken care of. If it works--sometimes you see people swiping with their finger,  probably because they forgot to charge their floor turner.

Super cool project! I wondered if anybody DIYed one. PMing for the Arduino code!

nzCdog

Great idea... and looks slick in that enclosure.  Well done!
I am a geek for micro controller stuff... Bought a couple of Raspberry Pi Pico wireless boards a while ago, need to dig em out & have a play!

jimilee

That's what I was thinking it was. I just wanted to make sure. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

I need this.  I use the IK Blue Turner because it works so slick with Planning Center.  I'd rather rock a homebuilt alternative though.

And I like Marshall Arts projects :-)
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

BricksnBeatles

Really rad! I've always wanted to build a page turner pedal since they're so neat, but I don't have an iPad to use it with so it would be kinda pointless lol

Marshall Arts

Quote from: jimilee on September 27, 2023, 08:09:32 PM
That's what I was thinking it was. I just wanted to make sure. Thank you.
Glad that was answered, I was afraid I picked a bad term (i.e. something political incorrect). Sorry, non-native speaker here.

Quote from: nzCdog on September 27, 2023, 07:53:11 PM
Great idea... and looks slick in that enclosure.  Well done!
I am a geek for micro controller stuff... Bought a couple of Raspberry Pi Pico wireless boards a while ago, need to dig em out & have a play!
Those come with Bluetooth as well - even cheaper choice! Never tried these!

Quote from: gordo on September 28, 2023, 12:27:41 AM
I need this.  I use the IK Blue Turner because it works so slick with Planning Center.  I'd rather rock a homebuilt alternative though.

And I like Marshall Arts projects :-)
Thanks, gordo - great to still "see" you around here ;-). I use this for an app called "SongbookPro" and it works just perfect. After all, it's just emulating a bluetooth keyboard with two buttons.

Quote from: BricksnBeatles on September 28, 2023, 01:36:37 AM
Really rad! I've always wanted to build a page turner pedal since they're so neat, but I don't have an iPad to use it with so it would be kinda pointless lol
Honestly, I use this on a 100€ Chinese Android Tablet with a seperate google account with nothing else installed on it. No Mail, no Calendar, no nothing. And it works perfectly for my purposes (lyrics, chords, tab snipplets, notes)

gordo

Cool part is I still have a chunk of the enclosure and a couple of end caps from building your loop controller.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

BricksnBeatles

Quote from: Marshall Arts on September 28, 2023, 12:19:46 PM

Quote from: BricksnBeatles on September 28, 2023, 01:36:37 AM
Honestly, I use this on a 100€ Chinese Android Tablet with a seperate google account with nothing else installed on it. No Mail, no Calendar, no nothing. And it works perfectly for my purposes (lyrics, chords, tab snipplets, notes)

Interesting! Might have to look into that when I have more time to perform out. I have a list of plenty of songs that I've written charts out for (your typical 'fake sheet'/Real Book chord/melody notation with the cheesy "jazz" font) and it would be fun to put 'em to some good use