News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DEADfx KOT custom clone build

Started by (DEAD)fx, March 02, 2020, 10:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(DEAD)fx

Finished some custom KOT clones I was asked to build for a few people, so I re-designed a PCB layout for these that places all the internal controls including the Boost/OD/Distortion mode Diode switches, and the presence pots on the outside of the enclosure for easy access. Since I built enough of these to order a short run of PCBs, I've got extras and the build guide docs/BOM to go with building them if anyone's interested. I definitely get why guitarists love this pedal after building several of this circuit. Link and some build photos below...
https://www.davidevansaudio.com/shop/king-of-tone-clone-custom

omnipresent dude at (DEAD)fx, davidevansaudio.com/deadfx
tech/design engineer/shop rat at Avenson Audio, avensonaudio.com

jimilee

Wow, I love it! Those enclosures, I like the sparkly sparkly.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

Super slick and well done! Great layout and getting all those controls out is great!
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Quote from: cooder on March 02, 2020, 10:57:14 PM
Super slick and well done! Great layout and getting all those controls out is great!
I just noticed that, I love it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

chongmagic

That's awesome I just ordered the PCBs. I love having the switches on front. Is there anyway to order an enclosure as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mjg

I like the layout of those diode switches.  Very clever use of functionality matched with the graphics.

Aleph Null

Real slick! Digging the black cherry sparkle. Did you screen print this yourself? Knob layout looks nice and easy to use. It's hard to get that many controls on the outside without cluttering things up, but you've done it.

jjjimi84

Why isn't this the default layout for all KOT? Seriously great layout and design, incredible work!!!

(DEAD)fx

Thanks. Agreed this should be the default layout or something close to for all KOT, definitely why I wanted to make PCBs for these. I have access to CNC machining and laser engraving for these enclosures, hence the graphics as well. Also, I loved those Cherry Violet Sparkle 1590BB enclosures they had at Mammoth electronics but haven't found an equivalently affordable alternative source ever since they closed. If anyone has a lead I would be more tempted to make them to go with the PCBs. I know pedal parts plus has something equivalent but does a minimum qty order, maybe I'll front that cost if there's more interest for machined and engraved enclosures with the PCBs. Anyway, cheers.

Willybomb

Never built a KOT, but a predrilled enclosure for that pcb.... I'd be up for it.

chongmagic

Have you seen or used those Gorva enclosures at any point. I know they are right now available in three different colors. But I wonder if you contacted them, if they could work something out with you. The edges are beveled more than a normal BB enclosure but they really look nice. I was planning on using one for the PCBs I ordered from you.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

jjjimi84

I would be in for a board and box if you did a group buy, the last time I did a KOT was a MBP aristocrat. I think that was seven or eight years ago and has since been on permanent loan to a friend.

Caedarn

Those look great.  The enclosure and graphics are outstanding.
I just started a KoT build using Bugg's PCB and am doing the same thing with external mounting of the switches and pots.

chongmagic

Quick question, what did you use for the fuse for F1? In the images it looks jumpered.

(DEAD)fx

I had not seen those Gorva enclosures yet, which are pretty cool looking. Just a little pricey and very few color options. The Fuse isn't really necessary, was added in more as an option to choose various circuit protection circuitry schemes. It's in series first after the dc connector, then a protection diode 1N4001/4007 (parallel method), then a small series resistance. Having all these components on the board let me choose between any setup really. Which for this circuit, really all will be fine. But you could simply just throw in a series reverse protection diode 1N5817 in that F1 fuse spot and call it a day, or if you want the series Fuse and 1N4001, here's a mouser part number that'll work... 652-MF-RM016/240-0 . I just didn't have any on hand at the time so jumpered the fuse and just went with the protection diode. Maybe I accidentally left F1 off the BOM/Build Guide. I'll check that.