News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Does anyone else think an amp subforum here would be useful?

Started by midwayfair, June 25, 2014, 01:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we convince Bean to have an amp subforum here?

Yes!
45 (90%)
No way, I came here for pedals and you are scaring me!
1 (2%)
Maybe, but not a general amp forum
1 (2%)
What's an amp?
3 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: June 30, 2014, 01:29:56 PM

midwayfair

Most of us use an amp, even if we're not here for building them. I figure at the very least, it would be nice to have a place where all those amp questions can go (what's this tube, what's a good amp for these pedals, etc.).

But we've had several member-posted amp projects, too, and Bean's had some submini tube projects on the bench for a couple years (that we might one day get to build!).

So what say ye?

flanagan0718

midwayfair

Bret608

I voted yes...I've definitely come here to post amp questions, and was proud to post my amp mod report. There are some true amp masters on this forum, and as always the vibe is friendlier than elsewhere.

timbo_93631

Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jighead81

culturejam

Hey, why not?

I've got a couple solid-state amp projects in mind. Could be a good way to get the ideas out there so I don't forget them.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

madbean

muddyfox

I only play for myself so I don't really use an amp but whatever you amp-ey folk write would certainly come in handy as a knowledge base of sorts.

GrindCustoms

I think it would be great, not to get more people into that hobby , but just for the ressources.

Lots of guys who are really good at building pedals don't want to perform maintenance or mods on their amp because of the lack of easy to access support and information.

It would be a good way to start for many people, having safety tutorial and other basic information, like how to properly bias your amp (calculating tube dissipation vs Plate voltage)... all things that are quite simple, but that can turn into a drama if not executed correctly.

Anyway i'm all in and i would actively participate :D

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

pickdropper

I think it'd be good, just to have a central repository for the info.  There are some cool amp threads already here and it'd be nice if they were all in the same location (at least going forward).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

It's a good idea, *as long as* it's remembered that amps take longer between builds, as they cost a lot more than pedals. Meaning build reports are NOT going to be a common occurrence on that subforum.

That said, I'd love to see Juan do wirewrangling on a Dumble ODS amp.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

Quote from: alanp on June 25, 2014, 09:06:49 PM
That said, I'd love to see Juan do wirewrangling on a Dumble ODS amp.

What I'd like to see is Pickdropper stuffing it into a 1590A...  ::)

miter53

Yes! Just ordered an Allen Brown Sugar head kit last week...
"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/