News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ghosty-Boss DM-3 delay

Started by Thewintersoldier, October 04, 2023, 12:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

This project was one that has been in the works for months and I'm happy to share with everyone finally. First and foremost, huge shout-out to my brother from another mother Clinton @blackhatboojum for the set of boards and dan schumaker for another incredible project. When Clinton told me he was doing research on the dm-3 I was intrigued because I just thought it was a dm-2 with the mn3205 chipset. I was wrong of course and Clinton explained the differences and it seemed like worthy project. I recommended Dan because he can make any circuit fit in any enclosure, he's a true magician and expert in his craft.

So what's the buzz with the DM-3? It's like a DM-2 with different different filtering, it essentially has a double noise reduction circuit which gives it a better s/n ratio. The repeats are softer on the attack, aren't as dark on the decay and it can give far more repeats before oscillating. The mn3205 and 3102 chipset and way cheaper as well so this is quite the economic build. Very natural sounding and feeling delay. Sits somewhere between a DM-2 and a DMM, similar to the Maxon ad-900 to my ear.

The build did make me use my brain some. I learned how to troubleshoot years ago thankfully, and I don't do it all the time but this one threw me for a loop 😂. Clinton was there to calm me down when I was ready to go postal on it. I learned the hard way about tantalum caps, polarity and the noise/chaos they can wreak havoc on in a circuit when they go bad. I got it figured out though💪. The build itself was painless, well laid out and easy to calibrate once those two caps were made right.

For the enclosure I went with a pink tayda powder coated 125b to keep with the original design. I went with Gwen Stacy's spider Gwen or ghost spider/ghosty in the comics because I thought the delay had a real ghostly like quality to the repeats. Really like this one, it won't be leaving my board any time soon. For my sound clip I looped the rhythm track with a subtle delay setting that gives a reverb like quality and played the distorted track with an upcoming drive pedal. One take and I'm not sorry about the unrehearsed mistakes 😂.

Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

Something told me you'd bust out some Chris Isaac in a demo at some point! Cool take on it though.

In all seriousness, after hearing the demo, this is the sound I've been after in an analog delay--as you said, it's similar to the Ibanez AD family. I also like that it's running at 9v and with v2305s. Is there any way to get ahold of the boards for this, from Clinton or Dan perhaps? I'd build it straight away.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bret608 on October 04, 2023, 01:23:32 PM
Something told me you'd bust out some Chris Isaac in a demo at some point! Cool take on it though.

In all seriousness, after hearing the demo, this is the sound I've been after in an analog delay--as you said, it's similar to the Ibanez AD family. I also like that it's running at 9v and with v2305s. Is there any way to get ahold of the boards for this, from Clinton or Dan perhaps? I'd build it straight away.
That song is a classic, regardless of how you feel about Chris Isaak. I tried to give it a spaghetti western vibe 😂. This is a fantastic delay and I would love to see more of these in the wild. Clinton only got a few sets of boards when he ordered from Dan, so I would talk to Dan and see if maybe anyone else is interested then ordering some more.  Hell, I'd be interested in another set.
Who the hell is Bucky?

dan.schumaker

Is there any way to get ahold of the boards for this, from Clinton or Dan perhaps? I'd build it straight away.

I'll get another set of boards on order!

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: dan.schumaker on October 04, 2023, 02:37:08 PM
Is there any way to get ahold of the boards for this, from Clinton or Dan perhaps? I'd build it straight away.

I'll get another set of boards on order!
Make sure you flip those 2 caps Dan and put me down for a set of boards!
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

I'll definitely grab one of those boards once you've them in! Thanks for your willingness to do that.

Bio77

<Mind blown emoji> Really sharp, Chris and the demo slays. 

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bret608 on October 04, 2023, 03:37:16 PM
I'll definitely grab one of those boards once you've them in! Thanks for your willingness to do that.
Dan is truly a man of the people. Great guy to work with and his boards are always top tier.

Quote from: Bio77 on October 04, 2023, 04:37:10 PM
<Mind blown emoji> Really sharp, Chris and the demo slays. 
Thanks John, demo turned out ok I guess, I'm just trying to do them as often as I can since we don't get enough of them in diy.
Who the hell is Bucky?

gordo

Superb build and demo.  The tune's guitar parts really have to be the sexiest Strat-whammy-into-reverb-laden-Deluxe-Reverb ever.  I use the pick plunk over dead strings from the original whenever possible.  It came at an early age listening to Jan Akkerman with Focus.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: gordo on October 05, 2023, 12:28:19 AM
Superb build and demo.  The tune's guitar parts really have to be the sexiest Strat-whammy-into-reverb-laden-Deluxe-Reverb ever.  I use the pick plunk over dead strings from the original whenever possible.  It came at an early age listening to Jan Akkerman with Focus.
Thanks Gordo, I was actually using my jazzmaster on this, as much as I love my strat the jazzmaster has the far superior trem IMO
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

Yes, it sounds awesome. Honestly I always liked Wicked Game...first song where I really noticed reverb as a thing on guitar.

nzCdog

Ooohhh it does sound ghosty!
Great build Chris, and congrats all on a great project!

jessenator

I think my first experience with non DD delays put me off them. Way too dark and muddy.

This one sounds superb, though, and Wicked Game is a wonderful track. Nicely done!