News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sheepylove/GOTA Phaser-Boss PH-1

Started by Thewintersoldier, October 09, 2023, 09:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Oh snap, another long discontinued, harder to find and expensive pedal resurrected from the dead. The Boss ph-1 phaser was one of the first three compact pedals released by boss in 1977 as part of the traffic light series. It was only made for 4 years before being discontinued for the revised ph-1r with resonance control. @szukalski and I were talking about this pedal one day and he decided to take a swing at it and he crushed it yet again.

While it has much in common with the ph-1r, there are many subtle differences circuit wise that give it a different feel and sound. It's a little more basic and simplistic which gives it a slightly sweeter sound and more gentle lfo shape. It's perfect in my opinion. It doesn't get lost and never fully swallows the signal either. It melds wonderfully with drive, especially in front of it, but also sounds good after it. Very smooth.

Now, the original pedal had a volume drop that wasn't as noticeable because of the bypass scheme. When converted to true bypass it was very apparent. After trying a few things with Dave and @blackhatboojum, I consulted @Chuck D. Bones and he gave the clarity and guidance we needed to fix the volume drop. One of the things we tried was half right but Dave set us on the course to success. Man does it sound good too. After a little surgery, no one will ever know🤫😶‍🌫️

For the enclosure I used a matte white tayda box and UV print. I'm pretty proud of this one, the graphic turned out great and really portrays the sound and function of the pedal, Ghost came out perfect. Also used Dave's mini relay board based on Chuck's bypass. For the demo I'm running it in front of the drive pedal for next week's build report, it was also used in the DM-3 demo. This sound clip I made while I was fine tuning the trimmer while playing.

Who the hell is Bucky?

nzCdog

Fat sounding Phaser!  And sweet looking build  :)

jessenator

That's meaty! I love it, and such a different tone than optical for sure. Well done, indeed.

Thewintersoldier

Thanks guys, I just did the easy part. It's such a great pedal and I'm glad I got to build it.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

Sounds great and I love the white enclosure! That drive you've been using lately sounds great too. The turbo side of the OD-2, I presume?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bret608 on October 10, 2023, 02:20:03 PM
Sounds great and I love the white enclosure! That drive you've been using lately sounds great too. The turbo side of the OD-2, I presume?
Thanks Bret. The turbo mode (mode 2) of the OD-2R is what the Aurum is based on. I did mode one previously which is really nice but I planned on showing this off properly next week.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

<bananas emoji>  Man, that looks awesome!  The surgery looks so clean.  Hats off to you, sir.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bio77 on October 10, 2023, 03:29:51 PM
<bananas emoji>  Man, that looks awesome!  The surgery looks so clean.  Hats off to you, sir.
Thanks John, I work in surgery so it had to be clean lol
Who the hell is Bucky?