News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sagan Delay

Started by Timko, June 04, 2016, 05:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

Oh boy.

It seems every 3 months or so I decide to complete a "big" build.  My first was a Multiplex Delay with a modulation board.  My 2nd was a Big Muff with octave up and downs on their own footswitches.  But in terms of components and size, this is the biggest thing I've built to date.  I used the standard Sagan board, and included both a Madbean Ping reverb and a GC P-LFO modulation.  The Ping's small size really made fitting all this stuff in the box so much easier.  The P-LFO added another dimension to the sound, giving the delay some tape warble on low settings and some otherworldly sounds when you dial it up.  I've gotten a chance to really play around with it this evening, and it's a fantastic delay.  The 1/3 sync or the 1/2 sync make for some great sounding effects.  I find this pedal a little more difficult to use than my Multiplex, but it's got  more options to dial in a specific sound.  I can't wait to play with it.

A close eye will notice that the toggle switch doesn't control the dry kill; it controls the mod board.  During my initial testing, I found that turning down the mod board seemed to remove the modulated signal.  So I designed my drill template and design with only 1 toggle switch.  However, I realized that it didn't remove enough of it to make it robust enough to offer a simple unaffected delay signal.  While a dry kill switch would be nice (I may go back and add it), the switch for modulation is a must for me. 

The design is based on the classic Roland TR-808.  I had the boards completed nearly a month ago but had no idea what the graphics were going to be until a week and a half ago.

If you're looking for a challenging and rewarding build, try this one for sure.

m-Kresol

great project for sure. well executed too!
does the effect switch toggle between delay and reverb or does it toggle one of them on and off?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Timko

The toggle controls the modulation board on/off. The reverb can either be on the entire signal, the delay only, or nothing at all. That is controlled by the rotary switch in the middle.

bcalla

Wow!!!  Terrific work!!!

jtaormina

Stellar. I've been wanting finally build mine. I've got the lfo adder but not a reverb board.  I need to get motivated to finish my other 4 builds first. Ugh. So much to build.

jimilee

Ni e work, it looks incredible inside and out.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jtaormina

Aleph Null

The graphics look great! Based on the jack placement, I'm guessing this is an amp-top effect?

stecykmi

looks good, i have a similar build in the works using merlins equinox on a TH Customs board. how did you hook up the modulation? does it affect delay time 1?

Timko

Timko

Quote from: Aleph Null on June 04, 2016, 01:38:58 PM
The graphics look great! Based on the jack placement, I'm guessing this is an amp-top effect?

The jacks are on the front out of nessesity. There wasn't any room in the back for them. But I normally have my delays on the back of my board, so it worked out.

Timko

Quote from: stecykmi on June 04, 2016, 04:59:24 PM
looks good, i have a similar build in the works using merlins equinox on a TH Customs board. how did you hook up the modulation? does it affect delay time 1?

The modulation hooks up to a pad on the board for it. It effects Time 1, but since Time 1 can be used in different combinations of all 3 delays depending on the sync setting, you can get some really crazy sounds.

Timko

Quote from: jtaormina on June 04, 2016, 12:54:36 PM
Stellar. I've been wanting finally build mine. I've got the lfo adder but not a reverb board.  I need to get motivated to finish my other 4 builds first. Ugh. So much to build.

The new Madbean Ping reverb was great for this. It's got a tiny footprint and helped reduce the circuit Tetris to get everything in the enclosure.

jtaormina

Quote from: Timko on June 04, 2016, 07:38:11 PM
Quote from: jtaormina on June 04, 2016, 12:54:36 PM

The new Madbean Ping reverb was great for this. It's got a tiny footprint and helped reduce the circuit Tetris to get everything in the enclosure.

I was thinking about picking up one of these to pair it with...
http://pcb.delyk.com/modulation/41-beetle-verb-pcb.html?search_query=Reverb&results=1

Martan

Hells yes! Awesome build, man.