News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Krankasaurus - Led Wiring

Started by chromesphere, September 06, 2010, 11:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hi guys,

Im sure there is a simple answer to this question. I want to incorporate the 2 seperate leds for boost and distortion for the krankasaurus so i can visually see which is on and off. 

On the build PDF for the krank, it specifically says, LED wiring is left off, which doesnt help me...(Im not familar with dual 3pdt wiring and have no idea how to do this)

Can anyone assist?

You help is appreciated!

CS
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

madbean

I have a diagram somewhere. I'll get it posted later today.

pauloman80

If I may, I'll weigh in on this since this was my first build and I ran into the same issue.   ;D

Here's essentially what was shared with me on another msg board, I changed it slightly by relocating the resistor for the LED.

In the case of the Krank, the switch for the distortion side will send its To Output to the From Input of the boost side.  Also, each LED will need to draw power directly from the 9V supply, so from your DC jack you'll connect to the lead for the PCB itself and each LED (four connections).  I just put them together and heat-shrinked the junction, no problems.
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

madbean

Paulo,

In that diagram, when the effect is engaged, your LED is connected directly to ground. The other end of the 4k7 is not connected to anything. When the effect is off, the 4k7 connects from the FX input to ground. This is not what you want. To make this work, put the 4k7 between A2 and A3. Then, attach ground to A3 and B3.
When the switch is "up", A1 and A2 are connected, which connects the LED to the 4k7. When the switch is "down" the LED is disconnected from the resistor, and the FX input is grounded via B3.

madbean

This is pretty typical for me to wire up two in one with LEDs. If you are using metal jacks, you only need to ground either the input jack or output. If using plastic, you should probably ground both.

[attachment deleted by admin]

pauloman80

Quote from: madbean on September 07, 2010, 02:25:34 PM
Paulo,

In that diagram, when the effect is engaged, your LED is connected directly to ground. The other end of the 4k7 is not connected to anything. When the effect is off, the 4k7 connects from the FX input to ground. This is not what you want. To make this work, put the 4k7 between A2 and A3. Then, attach ground to A3 and B3.
When the switch is "up", A1 and A2 are connected, which connects the LED to the 4k7. When the switch is "down" the LED is disconnected from the resistor, and the FX input is grounded via B3.

Essentially you're saying the resistor isn't doing anything in the setup I have?  Wouldn't surprise me.  :)  So what exactly is it supposed to do?  I have my switches and LEDs set up exactly like this for my Krank builds, and I haven't noticed any problems associated with it.  Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

gtr2

It would be good to sticky the 2fx diagram somewhere (maybe in the learn link) as it's likely to help others out, including me!  Same with the dc jack wiring diagram.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

chromesphere

Hi All, thanks for the info.

Shortly after i asked the question, i worked out the answer.  Didnt occur to me to put the resistor on the switch though...was going to have it connectored to the LED.  Switch version sounds neater.

Edit: That diagram is very useful!  I've been looking for a 2 FX's in 1 Box "easy to follow" diagram like that for a while now.  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for your help!!
CS
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube