News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Simplest of most basic circuit questions...

Started by camsna, January 06, 2011, 06:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camsna

So. I'm trying to get a hold on all this, and thank you all so much for bearing with me, but I'm just so crummy with a circuit. I'm a reasonably intelligent fellow and I learn quickly, But I'm having the darndest time. Here's my question. Suppose I have a board with "In," "Out," "9v," and "Ground." Then suppose that I want this "pedal" on all the time and it will not run on a battery (trying to keep it as simple as possible). If I were to box it up, would the following connections be correct? Is the circuit complete?

In - tip of input jack
Out - tip of output jack
9v - tip of DC jack
Ground - sleeve of DC jack

That look OK? Do I also need to connect the sleeve of either the input jack or output jack to the sleeve of the DC jack? The sleeve of the input and sleeve of output are connected by way of the enclosure, right?

Sorry again for the super noobish stuff. I said it somewhere else - I'm pretty handy with an iron, but CRAP with a circuit. I need to find one of you who lives close to me and spend a day and a six pack with you :)

Thanks again, fellas!

jkokura

Yes, you should ground the input and/or output jacks also. It depends on a couple things, like is your dc jack isolated? (most are). If yes, then you have to ground at least one jack. Are your jacks isolated Orr do thy connect their grounds through the enclosure? If isolated Then yo need to ground both. If they connect ground through the enclosure (open switchcraft and aluminum box) then you only need to ground one.

What are you boxing up?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

camsna

Aaaaaah. That makes sense and is what I thought.

I'm boxing up a buffer/interface for my pedalboard. :)