News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer Fat Switch

Started by AntKnee, February 01, 2015, 12:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I was just testing a Kingslayer build, and I had run out of 150n caps so I omitted C7. Now the fat switch rocks! Really, it gets FAT when I flip it now. My previous build of this had a barely noticeable difference. Is there any problem with me permanently omitting C7? Is it going to end up being to bassy for guitar at loud volume?
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

CK1

Sorry to dig up an old post, but this is something I've been looking at, too.  I'm in the same situation as a lot of folks in that I don't notice much difference with the 'fat' switch in or out, and would like even more low end available.  Did you try socketing C7, or did you just leave it off for good?

madbean

If you leave C7 off it basically applies gain to all frequencies, not the one centered at the C8/R10 combo. There is no harm in it. If the 150n cap is to subtle for you I say go for it. Since ground is our bias voltage there is no voltage difference between it and our IC bias voltage, so you won't hear DC across the Gain pot when you turn it (since omitting C7 eliminates coupling). It's actually a good alternative which I never thought of.

CK1

Thanks, Brian.  Appreciate that explanation. 

I may try that first, just to see what I get.  I normally run this at very low gain settings, so I'm not too worried about it getting overly beefy by allowing all frequencies through the gain circuit. 

If I was to try tweaking what is allowed through, is R10 the best place to start?  Nothing is currently socketed, but that's no issue.  Any advice appreciated.  :)

madbean

I think sticking with omitting C7 is the right thing. Or, you could put in a 1uF there which would probably have the same effect (since it would pass all frequencies). I would leave R10 alone.

CK1

Quote from: madbean on March 07, 2016, 02:33:32 AM
I think sticking with omitting C7 is the right thing. Or, you could put in a 1uF there which would probably have the same effect (since it would pass frequencies). I would leave R10 alone.

Awesome, thanks man

AntKnee

Glad to see this finally get resolved, if a year or so later.  ;D
I omitted it and left it that way. Works great!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

blearyeyes

Quote from: AntKnee on March 07, 2016, 06:29:13 PM
Glad to see this finally get resolved, if a year or so later.  ;D
I omitted it and left it that way. Works great!

Which version are you guys talking about?

Never mind I figured it out. KS2 2014.
I think I'll try this out.
Thanks!

thesameage

Do you need to add a jumper, or can you just totally omit c7?

CK1

Quote from: thesameage on March 07, 2016, 06:54:59 PM
Do you need to add a jumper, or can you just totally omit c7?

You don't need a jumper

CK1

One quick tone note:  I pulled C7 from mine this evening, and was surprised to find my apparent gain level was actually lower in "fat" mode.  That's a benefit in my case, but might not be for everyone, so thought it was worth noting.  Also, because it's such a low gain circuit, I don't find the extra bass to be too boomy at all, at least at moderate output levels.  YMMV, of course.