News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help choosing two speakers

Started by HailToTheBlues, August 10, 2014, 11:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi guys,
Some days ago i started a thread about some cabinets that i needed opinions, and i decided i would get a Montage cabinet, and now i'm currently deciding which speaker should i get. I'm leaning towards these ones:
  - celestion g12m greenback
  - celestion g12h-30 70th anniversary
  - WGS reaper 30 (g12h-30 equivalent)
  - eminence wizard 75w (g12h-30 equivalent)
  - eminence private jack (g12m equivalent)

This cabinet is intended for a weber jtm45 and will most of the time be used as open-back (at least if any of you doesn't tell me i should use it as closed-back :D). I wanted to get an Hendrix vibe, very punchy, clear, like his catfish tone, if you understand what i mean. Anymore suggestions will be welcomed!

Best regards

Vallhagen

Cool that you're choosing Montage.

As i think i said in the other thread, i equipped mine with WGS veteran 30-s, and i did choose them based on recommendations (and my 50W Suhr/CAA top was originally sold with a matching 2*12" cab with mentioned speakers. Suhr seems to use them for many of their cabs). I am happy.

Lean-business did actually put up a picture of my cab on their FB-site; http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lean-Business/69851021062 (scroll down to may 30). If you feel like taking a look.

Cheerio
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

HailToTheBlues

Veterans are not my style, but the cab looks good!

flanagan0718

Emanance are always a good choic

Leevibe

I was kind of hoping you would lean toward the montage. It sounds like it's well built.

I have a pair of 25w greenbacks loaded in an Egnater tourmaster 2x12 and I would happily swap them out for G12H30's if I could afford it. I've actually thought about swapping one and leaving one.

It can be great to mix and match, especially if your cab is wired for "either or both" speakers. I have both of my 2x12's wired that way.

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: Leevibe on August 10, 2014, 02:20:46 PM
It can be great to mix and match, especially if your cab is wired for "either or both" speakers. I have both of my 2x12's wired that way.

That's a good idea, it would let me have different tones just by switching the speaker cable place! I'll think of it!

Leevibe

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on August 10, 2014, 02:34:03 PM

That's a good idea, it would let me have different tones just by switching the speaker cable place! I'll think of it!

You'll need to have matched impedances if you run them both together and you may or may not want to try to match efficiency rating if it matters to you if they're balanced volume-wise. This will let you run in stereo through one cab too, which is super fun.

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: Leevibe on August 10, 2014, 02:38:22 PM
Quote from: HailToTheBlues on August 10, 2014, 02:34:03 PM

You'll need to have matched impedances if you run them both together and you may or may not want to try to match efficiency rating if it matters to you if they're balanced volume-wise. This will let you run in stereo through one cab too, which is super fun.

That's a thing i never understood, stereo cabs. When you're listening to a song on stereo headphones, you hear the drums on one side and the lead guitarrist on the other, for example, but how does that work in one cab with a guitar?

Leevibe

You won't get as much stereo separation as with two cabs spaced far apart, but you can still get a pretty massive sound with a stereo delay or chorus etc. the closer you sit to the cab, the more enveloping the sound. It's pretty useless live unless you mic up.

Even running in mono through two amps will give a pretty spacious sound his way because each amp is kind of doing its own thing. It's really addictive.

Leevibe

You do have to pay attention to phase. Some amps will be out of phase with each other. You'll know it when you hear it because it will sound like the sound isn't cing directly from the speakers, but from the walls or somewhere behind you.

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: Leevibe on August 10, 2014, 02:48:40 PM
You do have to pay attention to phase. Some amps will be out of phase with each other. You'll know it when you hear it because it will sound like the sound isn't cing directly from the speakers, but from the walls or somewhere behind you.

Well, i know for example, that the jtm45 and the Bassman are out of phase with each other, but can that lead to something? Because i didn't understand if you were warning me or not

lars

Just my two cents worth, go with an Eminence Governor for one of the speakers. I have one of these and it is an incredible, very efficient speaker with a smooth response. The Eminence Wizard is said to have an aggressive high frequency response; you couple that with it's high efficiency and you will have an extremely bright, almost ear-piercing tone (which is great if that's what you're going for). The other thing is that it is almost always a good idea to mix your speakers in a multi-speaker cab. I have never liked the sound of two of the same speakers in one dual cab. It's almost like they cancel each other out, and a single 12" sounds better IMHO. The current setup I have is an Eminence Governor and an Eminence Legend 1258 with a stereo amp. This provides a very full sound and gives you great separation with stereo chorus and flangers.
That montage 2x12 cab looks great by the way.

Leevibe

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on August 10, 2014, 02:55:13 PM

Well, i know for example, that the jtm45 and the Bassman are out of phase with each other, but can that lead to something? Because i didn't understand if you were warning me or not

It won't be harmful in any way, it just sounds weird. When I first got my Egnater cab, the guy I got it from had accidentally flipped the leads on one of the drivers and the cab was out of phase. It led to me getting that cab for very cheap because he thought it was just a bad sounding cab!

Here is a link to a post that shows how to wire a cab in an "either or both" setup. His diagram shows the speakers in series, but I posted a diagram in the thread that shows how to do it in parallel. That way you're covered if you are using anything but 8 ohm speakers. Just a word of warning if you do this, you MUST use isolated switching jacks, like the Cliff jacks in the diagram, or use a plastic jack mounting plate. You can't have continuity between the sleeves of the three jacks.

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: lars on August 10, 2014, 02:59:53 PM
Just my two cents worth, go with an Eminence Governor for one of the speakers. I have one of these and it is an incredible, very efficient speaker with a smooth response. The Eminence Wizard is said to have an aggressive high frequency response; you couple that with it's high efficiency and you will have an extremely bright, almost ear-piercing tone (which is great if that's what you're going for). The other thing is that it is almost always a good idea to mix your speakers in a multi-speaker cab. I have never liked the sound of two of the same speakers in one dual cab. It's almost like they cancel each other out, and a single 12" sounds better IMHO. The current setup I have is an Eminence Governor and an Eminence Legend 1258 with a stereo amp. This provides a very full sound and gives you great separation with stereo chorus and flangers.
That montage 2x12 cab looks great by the way.

Thanks for the suggestion!

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: Leevibe on August 10, 2014, 03:16:48 PM
Quote from: HailToTheBlues on August 10, 2014, 02:55:13 PM

It won't be harmful in any way, it just sounds weird. When I first got my Egnater cab, the guy I got it from had accidentally flipped the leads on one of the drivers and the cab was out of phase. It led to me getting that cab for very cheap because he thought it was just a bad sounding cab!

Here is a link to a post that shows how to wire a cab in an "either or both" setup. His diagram shows the speakers in series, but I posted a diagram in the thread that shows how to do it in parallel. That way you're covered if you are using anything but 8 ohm speakers. Just a word of warning if you do this, you MUST use isolated switching jacks, like the Cliff jacks in the diagram, or use a plastic jack mounting plate. You can't have continuity between the sleeves of the three jacks.

Thanks for the explanation, i'll pay attention to those details!