News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any 2017 hobby resolutions to share?

Started by Leevibe, December 15, 2016, 06:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

Quote from: GermanCdn on December 19, 2016, 06:46:41 PM
Start and finish my basement renos so I have a proper place to build is pretty much my only pedal resolution.

Launching a Youtube channel for another hobby next year, so I'd imagine that takes up a good portion of my spare time.

Other hobby being guitar collecting related?

GermanCdn

Quote from: Leevibe on December 19, 2016, 07:22:40 PM
Quote from: GermanCdn on December 19, 2016, 06:46:41 PM
Start and finish my basement renos so I have a proper place to build is pretty much my only pedal resolution.

Launching a Youtube channel for another hobby next year, so I'd imagine that takes up a good portion of my spare time.

Other hobby being guitar collecting related?

LOL, no.  I've actually resolved to shrink the collection down to <50 next year, moreover for lack of time and commitment (and because 50 guitars is still way more than your average professional musician has, it's still pretty respectable).

In my quest to drop 120 lbs (over half way there), I've started spending a lot more time in the mountains (almost every weekend).  My channel will be part gear reviews (a lot of the reviews out there come from a very military type approach, which is fine, but not necessarily useful to your average guy, and I find that the non-military type reviews tend to be pretty sub-par, and I find that there's a lot of guys who will only review budget stuff or high end stuff, but very little crossover, so trying to establish somewhere in the mid ground), part DIY (survival kits, fire kits, IFAKs, paracord projects, sheaths, whatever else), part trail reports/gear rundowns, and part (what's the nice way to put this, still haven't figured that out) how to get into hiking/bushcraft safely when you're fat and the challenges therein (i.e. the target market for good hiking clothes is the sub 200 lb club, how to find stuff that works for you, the importance of finding the footwear that is right for your feet, cause once your feet start acting up, you're done).

Been planning it for about six months, I'm going to start shooting some videos over the Christmas break so I have an inventory to draw from when I start posting (would like to post at least one a week without it becoming a hindrance).

Will post a link to it once it's up and running.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jubal81

Grats on the weight loss, Curtis. Channel sounds like fun - looking forward to it.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

bamslam69

Quote from: Muadzin on December 16, 2016, 12:37:27 AM
Fractal Axe-FX my good fellow.

I haven't touched a pedal in months. It's da bomb!
OMG, I had a play with a mate's Fractal a couple of months back. Wow wow WOW. So much fun.

Leevibe

Quote from: jubal81 on December 19, 2016, 10:57:48 PM
Grats on the weight loss, Curtis. Channel sounds like fun - looking forward to it.

+1

Quote from: GermanCdn on December 19, 2016, 08:51:29 PM
Will post a link to it once it's up and running.

I think it sounds like you've found a great little niche. I'd be interested to check it out. I would want to see something like that that isn't done by a survivalist prepper. Especially the footwear stuff. I used to do lots of day hiking. There are zillions of awesome trails in the Columbia River Gorge, which is basically where I live. I hardly ever get outdoors anymore. I think I could get into hiking a bit if I thought I could find the right footwear. My feet hurt me a lot if I wear the wrong shoes.

GermanCdn

Quote from: Leevibe on December 20, 2016, 03:17:15 PM
I think it sounds like you've found a great little niche. I'd be interested to check it out. I would want to see something like that that isn't done by a survivalist prepper. Especially the footwear stuff. I used to do lots of day hiking. There are zillions of awesome trails in the Columbia River Gorge, which is basically where I live. I hardly ever get outdoors anymore. I think I could get into hiking a bit if I thought I could find the right footwear. My feet hurt me a lot if I wear the wrong shoes.

Thanks.  I've put off starting it for about 6 months and spent that time watching a ton of other guys vids just to determine whether or not I have anything of value to add to equation (since I'm not a "Go into the bush and survive with my Leatherman and a Fresnel lens for a week", nor am I a "I just thru-hiked Appalachian Trail this summer"), and figured out that gearheads (my knife collection is actually larger than my guitar collection, but at 1/10 the unit cost) and people who need to get off their butts and head outdoors is definitely a suitable and serviceable market. 

I've actually just signed up for a Sofa to Summit program, which involves hiking different trails (in length and complexity) for eight weeks, with the ultimate hike to actually summit a peak.  In the winter.  In Canada.  Wife is convinced I have in fact lost my mind, but I will be documenting that as part of the channel as well.

The footwear thing just kills me.  It's hilarious to watch a video of a guy demoing a $300 knife, and then admit that the attention he gives to his boots is "Whatever's on clearance at Cabelas/Bass Pro/REI this week."  I've had serious foot problems from wearing the wrong footwear (I wore poorly fitting shoes for the two years I lived in Germany, and that resulted in plantar fasciitis for two years after my return, which really got me into looking into the shoes that work for me), and I've found that it's a delicate balance between not tight enough (resulting in instep problems) and too tight (resulting in corns and outstep problems).  Combine that with the wrong socks, the wrong spikes, not keeping your toenails short (only made that mistake twice), etc, and it can end your enjoyment of outdoor living pretty quick.  But what really irks me is the people who insist on hiking in sandals/flip flops.  It's like a walking advertisement for a broken ankle (at best).

I hope to have enough stock footage ready by the end of February to launch it.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

So true Curtis. The best investment on the trail is your footwear. I'm fortunate that when I had to buy new backcountry boots I could afford a pair of Scarpa SL3s. Best money I've ever spent for the trail.

That and having a comfortable pack, a good sleep system, and knowing how much weight is appropriate for the trail. I used to spend more nights out there than I have the past couple years, but it's one of the things I look forward to most when I plan my holidays.

I'll be a subscriber.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

Quote from: jkokura on December 20, 2016, 07:11:00 PM
and knowing how much weight is appropriate for the trail.

Co'mon, you're talking to the guy who used to bring backup guitars to his backup guitars for 45 minutes of P&W on Sunday morning.  I carry wayyyyyyyy too much gear (broke your leg, here's a splint, stuck in a storm, let me put up my tent, need to boil a cup of water, here' my fire kit, let's go start a bonfire, got gut shot by a hunter who's where he's not supposed to be, I've got some Celox in here somewhere........).  I kid (but only by a little bit, let's put it this way, if we get stuck, you'd wanna get stuck with me).  There's actually going to be a video or two on that specific topic, showing everything from my get up and go setup of my slingpack when it's me and the dogs on a trail we know, to my 65L pack for the middle of winter down a trail I've never done before, and how you can pack similar functionality into both.

madbean

Another +1 on weight loss, Curtis. Or, -1. You know what I mean. I dropped about 15lbs myself this year but it all came back. Fixing to start up on some juicing again (not steroids...actual juice).

jkokura

Quote from: GermanCdn on December 20, 2016, 08:10:07 PM
Quote from: jkokura on December 20, 2016, 07:11:00 PM
and knowing how much weight is appropriate for the trail.

Co'mon, you're talking to the guy who used to bring backup guitars to his backup guitars for 45 minutes of P&W on Sunday morning.  I carry wayyyyyyyy too much gear (broke your leg, here's a splint, stuck in a storm, let me put up my tent, need to boil a cup of water, here' my fire kit, let's go start a bonfire, got gut shot by a hunter who's where he's not supposed to be, I've got some Celox in here somewhere........).  I kid (but only by a little bit, let's put it this way, if we get stuck, you'd wanna get stuck with me).  There's actually going to be a video or two on that specific topic, showing everything from my get up and go setup of my slingpack when it's me and the dogs on a trail we know, to my 65L pack for the middle of winter down a trail I've never done before, and how you can pack similar functionality into both.

I used to be the guy who brought everything. Now I'm firmly in the lightweight camp, and I'd never go back. I went on an overnighter with a 28L pack this summer. I'm currently looking for a nice 45-50L pack (I'm thinking Osprey Exos) that will become my 3-5 night pack. I still have my 65L Granite Gear pack, and it was perfect when I did the West Coast Trail a couple summers ago, but after getting my base weight (no food, water, or fuel) below 18lbs, I've never felt better on the trail. Minimalist camping is very enjoyable.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

playpunk

I worked at a camp for 5 summers that was an old school, carry everything, real men carry 100 lbs place.

Now I wouldn't voluntarily hike (by myself) with more than a camelbak and running shoes. It is really fun to do big days in the mountains with minimal gear.
"my legend grows" - playpunk