News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Deadend FX Hapalochlaena

Started by soldersqueeze, January 21, 2022, 03:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soldersqueeze

The final part of my ring mod trilogy, I finished this up today.

I've added a fine tune pot to the frequency tuning because the range is ridiculous for one control, but other than that and the layout it's totally stock.
I really didn't like the knob layout on the PCB, and there was no sensible way to secure it, so I had to make a mounting plate out of an old scratchplate and bolt it to the case. Maybe a little overengineered but it works. I really wish all PCBs had mounting holes, it seems a pretty basic requirement to me but maybe I'm old fashioned.

Here she is with my other recent builds. I'm close to having enough ring mods now I feel :)

I still haven't actually used any of these much as my studio is in a transitory period right now, but if you're trying to pick one of the three to build I'd sumise them by saying-

Ring Stinger- Complicated in build and use, lots of control, lots of fuzz
Wurmloch- Easy to build, lots of crazy noise but more limited in use, perfect if you want a simplified noise fuzz with ring mod sounds
Hapalochlaena- Easy to build, the only "clean" ring mod of the three, great for a studio effect if you want to experiment with running vocals etc through it.

I can't stress enough that I barely know what I'm talking about here, but those are my initial impressions.

jimilee

Wow, congratulations, you completed the trilogy. I really like those enclosures too.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Nice! I love a good ring mod!!

I've thought many times about building a Ring Stinger but you make the Hapalochlaena sound more interesting, so I'll have to look into it.

I've got a Moog Mf102 and it's great, I wish someone would make a diy board for it now that the schematic is out there. It's big and would be complicated but it sounds fantastic.