News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

N.O.S (New Old Slacker)

Started by GrindCustoms, November 27, 2023, 05:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Hi Madbeaners! Not sure if this is a comeback but been scrolling through the forum for the past days and y'all got them electrons pumping through my veins quite a bit.

Beautiful to see that this hobby is still pushing forward and community is still well united, truly warms my heart.

To my surprise I found out that there was still a follow up to the effort that was put in couple years ago and it's what got me to log back in. Also realized that some resources from those past projects are a bit scattered so with the help of well known member, will try to make those BOM/Instructions readily and easily available.

After i pulled out of the hobby I didn't get rid of any of the parts or PCBs i had collected throughout my time and it's quite a large inventory. I'll never go through all that stuff, so instead of seeing that stuff being slept on or expire i'll try to make a proper inventory of all the stuff I can let go, pcb, components, hardware, etc.... and put them out at more than fair prices. With the now stupidly high priced shipping cost from Canada to USA or Overseas, i'll likely offer that stuff in bulk so the buyers can then redistribute to their liking or whatever tickles their fancy.

On the bright side, i have loads of projects, vintage pedals, amps and what not that i'd like to get back in working order and i'll of course need the help of the skillful and knowledgeable members of this forum. I still have basic knowledge of a great many things but lots of finer details are now far gone!

With the current state of social medias it's a blessing that place like these are still up and running, truly something to cherish!

Most excited to make some noise with y'all!

Cheers!

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Bret608

Yes, it is! Thought about you while I was traveling in Quebec this past summer.

pbrommer1

As LL Cool J once said, don't call it a comeback!

Good to see the GrindCustoms name in the forum..I remember seeing a few of your boards, etc. floating around in the world.

jwin615

Welcome sorta back!

Here to cash in your J201s? Good investment  ;D

(Dibs on bulk pots and knobs)

GrindCustoms

Quote from: dan.schumaker on November 27, 2023, 06:20:51 PM
Its good to see you back here Rej!

Cheers man, glad to see you're still kicking!

Quote from: Bret608 on November 27, 2023, 06:55:29 PM
Yes, it is! Thought about you while I was traveling in Quebec this past summer.

Hope you had a good time, what area/city did you visit?
Glad to see you around sir!

Quote from: pbrommer1 on November 28, 2023, 01:16:29 AM
As LL Cool J once said, don't call it a comeback!

Good to see the GrindCustoms name in the forum..I remember seeing a few of your boards, etc. floating around in the world.

Cool! We had quite a good run at saturating the DIY market with Klones and infuriating Paul C. , good times!

Quote from: jwin615 on November 28, 2023, 03:49:53 AM
Welcome sorta back!

Here to cash in your J201s? Good investment  ;D

(Dibs on bulk pots and knobs)

That's funny, my idea of liquidating some of my inventory as a second thought, i mostly wanted to reconnect with the people.
Although now that i think of it, i can't recall on top of my head how many of those i have but i guess that the value of some TH components that where getting rare or more expensive 10 years ago must have sky rocketed now. My main goal with liquidating some of my inventory is not to cash in on people but to give back to the community and give the opportunity to some enthusiasts who missed the "prime" era of DIY to get their hands on the nice stuff that have become less available at a very fair price so they can experience the same excitement i had back in those years.

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Chinaski

What a coincidence. When I was in this forum and building way back when, you were still on here.
I just recently got back into building and was wondering about you.

Welcome back, man.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

oeslicoalfin

Rej,
Glad to see you're back.
Still have my some of the cache of BC109Cs I bought from you way back when...
Would love to get my hands on some Mu series PCBs whenever you figure out what you've got laying around.
Cheers,
Wes

gordo

Rej, you've always been a source of inspiration just in attitude alone so it's really great to see you poke your head in the door even if to say "wtf". 
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Chinaski on November 28, 2023, 01:09:08 PM
What a coincidence. When I was in this forum and building way back when, you were still on here.

Welcome back, man.

There's no such thing as coincidences, welcome back sir!

Quote from: oeslicoalfin on November 28, 2023, 05:51:04 PM
Rej,
Glad to see you're back.
Would love to get my hands on some Mu series PCBs whenever you figure out what you've got laying around.
Cheers,
Wes

Thank you, i'd have to check with Jubal81, i do still have some of the Mu project in hand, well kept in the vault. The "280Kg" compressor and 5F3 circuit are imo must builds, amazing tone shaping tools.

Had a good run with those BC109c, Juansolo was trans-shipping me those from UK, i think we emptied the stocks from that supplier. Although i know that i still have couple thousands of Fairchild BC109 w/plastic case. When i put up my component sale post up, they'll be in there.

Quote from: gordo on November 29, 2023, 01:23:08 AM
Rej, you've always been a source of inspiration just in attitude alone so it's really great to see you poke your head in the door even if to say "wtf". 

Y'all making me emotional, thawing my perma-frosted tundra heart away!
First thing that came to mind is that Cockatoo meme who bounces while chirping WhaDaFook! WhaDaFook! WhaDaFook! hahahaha

jimilee

Quote from: GrindCustoms on November 29, 2023, 03:26:00 AM
Quote from: Chinaski on November 28, 2023, 01:09:08 PM

Welcome back, man.

There's no such thing as coincidences, welcome back sir!

Quote from: oeslicoalfin on November 28, 2023, 05:51:04 PM
Rej,
Glad to see you're back.
Cheers,
Wes

Thank you, i'd have to check with Jubal81, i do still have some of the Mu project in hand, well kept in the vault. The "280Kg" compressor and 5F3 circuit are imo must builds, amazing tone shaping tools.

Had a good run with those BC109c, Juansolo was trans-shipping me those from UK, i think we emptied the stocks from that supplier. Although i know that i still have couple thousands of Fairchild BC109 w/plastic case. When i put up my component sale post up, they'll be in there.

Quote from: gordo on November 29, 2023, 01:23:08 AM

Y'all making me emotional, thawing my perma-frosted tundra heart away!
First thing that came to mind is that Cockatoo meme who bounces while chirping WhaDaFook! WhaDaFook! WhaDaFook! hahahaha
Bwahahahaha, I gotta find that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mattc

Good to see you back.

I missed out on a Chimera back in the day, but have built a few of your other pedals.  :)

GrindCustoms

Quote from: mattc on November 29, 2023, 07:29:03 PM
Good to see you back.

I missed out on a Chimera back in the day, but have built a few of your other pedals.  :)

Thanks man! The Chimaera is for me greater than the myth that was surrounding the Klon, it's what actually started it all for me as being serious in building pedals for people and producing projects in the DIY sphere but also partially responsible of my "burnout" that lead to me to abruptly quit the industry along other factors including threats of lawsuits from giants of the music industry.

But yeah.... in the past couple years i had plenty of time to reflect on that endeavor as a whole and it's global impact on the DIY scene.
I don't mean to sound arrogant or preposterous but those who where there in the 2010's know what the "taboo" around that circuit was in the lines of massively distributing PCB for it, building the clones themself and selling them and all that, it was highly frown upon even by other DIY project producers, factor in "Finnegan's Card Table" in there aswell. But with the people i surrounded myself back then, mainly CultureJam, we had a strong "0 Fucks Given" attitude and i firmly think it was the right thing to do. Those ecstatic moment we had of breaking boundaries is a feeling that i have not been able to reach/live since.

I've been seriously considering to write an article/column about that whole saga, although i'd likely need help to put that all together since english is not my first language and it would also require the input of other people that where in that moment. The end goal not being to pump my chest about it but to demonstrate how a small group of people in a niche hobby could make such a big impact on an industry as a whole.

Sorry if i end up writing novels from apparently simple comments, i've just kept so much in for so long and i have so MUCH to say.

culturejam

Good to see you back, buddy.  :)

Quote from: GrindCustoms on November 27, 2023, 05:35:08 PM
To my surprise I found out that there was still a follow up to the effort that was put in couple years ago and it's what got me to log back in. Also realized that some resources from those past projects are a bit scattered so with the help of well known member, will try to make those BOM/Instructions readily and easily available.

If you need any help with this, please let me know.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

GrindCustoms

Quote from: culturejam on November 30, 2023, 04:27:49 AM
Good to see you back, buddy.  :)

Quote from: GrindCustoms on November 27, 2023, 05:35:08 PM

If you need any help with this, please let me know.

Thank you appreciate it! Of all the circuit that have been produced and distributed, the only one i can't find the buildoc is the original Buffered Chimaera V1 although i highly doubt that any of those have been left un-populated. But if someone has that orignal document and can send it my way i'd be really happy to add it to the archives.

For now i've linked a compressed file in GCFX section including all of the BOMs, the file also been sent to Jimilee as backup to my hosting. People will likely download it too so i feel a bit more secure about this information not being lost to the depth of the internets.